Blueberry still fermenting ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is starting again !

tiny bubbles like malo - not super active yet

very unusual ??

Hope it's not a bad bacteria. I had a fruit wine, years back that done that. It went on for 2 months then stopped. I always thought it went through mlf on it's own.

When I added the mlb to the 2016 wine and it started converting the malic, the tiny bubbles looked and acted the same as the wine from years back.

Steve, you've already sulfited, are your levels above 50 ppm? do you have the stuff to run a chromo?

I do not have the stuff to run a chromo -

That is why I asked if blueberry can actually go thru malo ?

I do not have the stuff to run a chromo -

That is why I asked if blueberry can actually go thru malo ?

Well, though I've not done it personally, blueberry does have malic acid in it, so one basic ingredient is in place. You'd still need the presence of MLB, nutrients left in the wine, and low sulfite levels..........

@vacuumpumpman Check the pH and make sure it's not over 3.5 or 3.6. If it is your sulfites are not working against the bacteria. Lower pH(more acidic) to allow less sulfite to work.

Other than this I'm still looking at sulfite strength.

@vacuumpumpman Check the pH and make sure it's not over 3.5 or 3.6. If it is your sulfites are not working against the bacteria. Lower pH(more acidic) to allow less sulfite to work.

Other than this I'm still looking at sulfite strength.

I just checked it and it is at 3.5 - I will drop it down a little

I will replace my sulfites immediately - Thanks !

Do you think this wine is still recoverable ?

Last edited:
I was just hoping it wasn't 4 or over, 3.5 isn't bad if there's sulfite added . Low sulfite and a high pH is opening the dooor for trouble.

You added 1/2 tsp. of K-Meta so that should help out, greatly. I always keep the faith, it ain't over till it's over.

Any updates on the blueberry?

Yes -

On 1-27
I bought some new sulfites and added an additional 1/2 tsp and all active bubbling stopped within minutes. I just checked again and there is no active fermentation.

I'm sure it must of got some sort of bacteria growth - I can see a white film along the neck of the carboy

I hope I caught it in time ? It does not taste bad - but time will tell.

Back