WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab - calling all tweakers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I should revisit this thread - My Lodi Cab has turned the corner. Rechecked my records and this batch is at 23 months from pitching yeast, at 18 months it was still meh and like I said above I didn't think it would ever be good. Now however this is tasting very good. Unfortunately I am down to 5 bottles left.

Next time I make this I will wait 2 years before even trying it

Someone on here posted about using 375 bottles as testers...I took that advice....really good idea IMO. Now when I pull a cork to check the progress, it is only on a half size bottle. I really like it.

375 are just a perfect size for a couple of good glasses. I've actually bought a few more cases of bottles just to use as 'shorties"

Someone on here posted about using 375 bottles as testers...I took that advice....really good idea IMO. Now when I pull a cork to check the progress, it is only on a half size bottle. I really like it.

375 are just a perfect size for a couple of good glasses. I've actually bought a few more cases of bottles just to use as 'shorties"

Craig (Ceeaton) suggested the idea of taster 375’s to me a while back. Now I do them for everything I make except the Mist kits. Usually, I’ll do 6. Sometimes I’ll squeeze out 8.

Anymore, I’ll leave a wine on the long term rack until it’s 18 months old. I’ll do a taster at 1 year, wait a few months and have another, and repeat the process until it’s ready or I run out of tasters.

My Lodi Cab is almost gone, too. It’s just starting to get good. I may do another one next month. Right now, I have half a batch of an LQ French Cab (the other half belongs to my brother) and two French Merlot’s in aging.

I’ve been contemplating an Eclipse Shiraz in an EM, too.

Craig (Ceeaton) suggested the idea of taster 375’s to me a while back.
Don't look at me, I have no idea where the idea came from, other than this forum. It was either @Boatboy24 Jim, or maybe @ibglowin Mike, or one of the other old "farts" on this forum, but it wasn't my idea originally. If I find the post I'll edit this and credit to the genius who suggested it. Makes sense, but too much sense for me to have thought it up...

Thought I should revisit this thread - My Lodi Cab has turned the corner. Rechecked my records and this batch is at 23 months from pitching yeast, at 18 months it was still meh and like I said above I didn't think it would ever be good. Now however this is tasting very good. Unfortunately I am down to 5 bottles left.

Next time I make this I will wait 2 years before even trying it

This is great to hear because mine is at 18mo and I still think it’s kind of meh. Still have about 23 bottles though and another batch that I just bottled at the 1 year mark so I should have plenty to enjoy at 2 years and beyond assuming mine also turns a corner!

Hay .. I m one of those old farts and 375's have always been a main stay in the bottling process for me. They are a great way to sample your work or to give to someone else as a tasting to see what they think or as a wine tasting at dinner with you and yours ...we old farts have tough many if you young folk how to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX..., ..

Lol your spell check is messing with you this morning joe.
Or perhaps your in a different time zone and have a head start in the tasting room.
Agree 100% on the 375 s

I had to read this thread as I just started my second kit and its the WE Lodi Cab. Clearly this one will need some serious time and I'm excited to know my new buddy JohnD has kindly offered me one of his oak barrel's for me to bulk age this one. I'm only 3 days into fermentation, so i've got a long way to go. I'm reading the forum daily and learning so much. Plus I can text JohnD at any time and he's always willing to explain or help me out in anyway! I'm loving this hobby already! Also, I will make sure to procure some 375's as tasters. Love that idea!

I seldom see free 375's that are not screw tops...but I snag every one I can get my hands on. Frankly, it's easier to just buy them new.

So handy as testers, BYOB restaurants, I want red she wants white....I find us using them more and more...perfect for a couple of glasses.

Hi all - I just read through this whole thread as I am in the middle of making this kit. Sounds like I made a few “mistakes” others have mentioned. For starters, I squeezed the heck out of the skin bag (love the idea of the extra bucket and bag btw) and I also followed the directions to a T and put oak in during clearing where it is still floating. It’s only about 2 weeks into the secondary. Any suggestions for going forward? Any help is much appreciated.

Hi all - I just read through this whole thread as I am in the middle of making this kit. Sounds like I made a few “mistakes” others have mentioned. For starters, I squeezed the heck out of the skin bag (love the idea of the extra bucket and bag btw) and I also followed the directions to a T and put oak in during clearing where it is still floating. It’s only about 2 weeks into the secondary. Any suggestions for going forward? Any help is much appreciated.

Sounds like you’re in pretty good shape. Leave that oak in there for now.
Did you get to the “stabilizing” step yet?

If not then you should definitely skip the sorbate addition. Unnecessary in dry wines and known to cause bubblegummy flavors
Only other suggestion is to not bottle when instructed. Instead top her up and bulk age for as long as you can stand, and then have the option of adding an oak spiral later on. And sediment will drop in carboy, not the bottles.

Yes, the directions have you stabilize and degas adding k meta and sorbate and then the following day add the clearing agents and oak at the same time.

I was planning on bulk aging but there is a TON of sediment on the bottom compared to other kits I’ve done. Not sure if I should top off and with what.

Thanks for the help!

@Phrazier I started this Lodi Cab kit during the summer and did a 6 week extended maceration on it. I also like a lot of oak so in addition to the included dust and cubes, I added a handful of Jack Daniel's chips, 1 Med+ french spiral, and about 1/4 heavy french spiral to bring out some smokey and caramel flavors (I'm a big whisky drinker).

I did add the bentonite during primary, but I want it to clear naturally so I'm not adding the included chitosan. I also am skipping the sorbate as well.

For topping up, my local liquor store seems to always have a Cocobon Dark red blend on sale really cheap and I found it to be a good choice and complement to the Lodi cab so far.

Mine's currently bulk aging on about 1/4inch of fine lees which I don't much care to rack off of at this point. But if you have a lot of sediment I would suggest getting the wine off of that to be safe.

@Phrazier I started this Lodi Cab kit during the summer and did a 6 week extended maceration on it. I also like a lot of oak so in addition to the included dust and cubes, I added a handful of Jack Daniel's chips, 1 Med+ french spiral, and about 1/4 heavy french spiral to bring out some smokey and caramel flavors (I'm a big whisky drinker).

I did add the bentonite during primary, but I want it to clear naturally so I'm not adding the included chitosan. I also am skipping the sorbate as well.

For topping up, my local liquor store seems to always have a Cocobon Dark red blend on sale really cheap and I found it to be a good choice and complement to the Lodi cab so far.

Mine's currently bulk aging on about 1/4inch of fine lees which I don't much care to rack off of at this point. But if you have a lot of sediment I would suggest getting the wine off of that to be safe.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll definitely look into the oak spirals. They seem to be popular with this wine. Would you recommend racking now to get off theprobably inch and a half of sediment and allow it to finish clearing in another carboy? I was planning on leaving in there for another month or so.

Would you recommend racking now to get off theprobably inch and a half of sediment and allow it to finish clearing in another carboy? I was planning on leaving in there for another month or so.

Depends on how many times you racked already. Leaving the fine lees in for a while is okay (and can actually help develop flavors and body). But if you have over an inch of lees, it's probably mostly gross lees which can cause off-flavors if left in too long. Personally, I would rack it now just to be safe. I wouldn't want to spoil a whole kit by leaving it on the lees for too long. I don't know if you will have any issues leaving it for a month, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. But to each his own, live and learn, etc. haha

Back