Jam on it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
Well, it's that jam time of year.

Post your jams, jellies, marmalades, and sauces, people!

Currently I've got my first two batches macerating in the fridge right now.

4 lbs of apricots, 2 cups of sugar, one scraped vanilla bean, and a splash of lemon juice. When I start cooking I'll add another cup of sugar, a bit more lemon juice, and some lavender extract. This jam is so good. And it makes me feel fancy and french. Oooo la la!

My second batch is an experiment for me. 3 lbs of blackberries, 1.5 cups of sugar, and a half a cup of pinot noir. I'm going to let this sit for a couple of days, then I'll mash it, shove the pulp through a strainer to remove the seeds, cook it, then add about 1/4 tsp of mahlab. If it turns out decent I'll call it Blackberry Noir or Paris Nights or something equally pretentious.

I'll post up my peach butter tomorrow, good idea on the thread Jericurl!

Rhubarb is ready, and I'm in for some more of the Rhubarb Vanilla with Earl Grey Jam. Yum!

I make jam every other year. 1/2 Elderberry + 1/2 Rhubarb. It takes me 2 years to consume the many jars I make, and I eat jam/peanut butter/toast almost every morning.

It's that time of year again!

Yesterday we canned our pickled onions. We are keeping it a secret for now because we don't want everyone beating the door in wanting some. I'll hit up our onion guy at the Farmer's Market on Saturday to get more onions and we will do it again next weekend.

Today I will be making mead jam. I bought a bottle of mead from my honey supplier and we don't like it. So I will see if it translates into jam a little better.

Last year's pear/cardamom jam was a hit, as was the tomato jam (mixed with whiskey it makes a fantastic topping/marinade for pork...or put it plain on top of meatloaf, omg!), so I will definitely be doing those again when I can get my hands on fresh local produce.

I made a red wine jelly a few years ago. Anyone else done this?

Jericurl care to share the recipe for the tomato jam? When you first mentioned tomato jam I thought meatloaf! then you said how great it was on meatloaf!And am also thinking on a bagel yum thanks!

PUMPKIN BUTTER

INGREDIENTS
1 (29 oz) can pumpkin puree
¾ cup apple juice
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tst ground cloves
1 ½ cup white sugar (I use 3/4 cup Truvia)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
2. Store in the refrigerator or freeze.

I just did up a batch of an experimental 4-Citrus/Vanilla Marmalade. I hate marmalade. But this recipe sounded interesting as it only uses the zest and not the pith. The vanilla bean was my addition :). I used 1 grapefruit, 3 oranges, 4 lemons, and 2 limes.

So far so good. It's very sweet, but didn't come to nearly the volume the recipe said it would. I'm blaming some sub-par limes and lemons on that. I feel like it's going to be really good on pork and chicken BBQ!

I think next year I might give it a go with better fruit, and only one vanilla bean.

On to Rhubarb next!

Jericurl care to share the recipe for the tomato jam? When you first mentioned tomato jam I thought meatloaf! then you said how great it was on meatloaf!And am also thinking on a bagel yum thanks!

Here you go: http://foodinjars.com/2010/09/tomato-jam/

I usually add in some extra red pepper or some harissa (or equally spicy blend).

Here you go: http://foodinjars.com/2010/09/tomato-jam/

I usually add in some extra red pepper or some harissa (or equally spicy blend).

After i got through gagging at the words tomato and jam used together and read the recipe...this does sound really good....and the tomatoes are fixing to flood the house!

I thought the same thing about the pepper, needs more I bet. Was also wondering about Italian seasonings...you eaten it, what do you think?

I thought the same thing about the pepper, needs more I bet. Was also wondering about Italian seasonings...you eaten it, what do you think?

Written as is, with just some additional hot peppers added, I think this jam pairs really with African, Indian, and Middle Eastern type foods.
The nearest taste equivalent would be a hot and spicy bbq sauce...without the bbq smokey woody taste, if that makes sense. Manthing thinks it is similar to certain sun dried tomato type sauces.

Now you can omit all those spices and come up with your own Italian blend, similar to what would be used in sweet Italian sausage and I think it would do very, very well. Just don't change your sugar or acid amounts.

Written as is, with just some additional hot peppers added, I think this jam pairs really with African, Indian, and Middle Eastern type foods.
The nearest taste equivalent would be a hot and spicy bbq sauce...without the bbq smokey woody taste, if that makes sense. Manthing thinks it is similar to certain sun dried tomato type sauces.

Now you can omit all those spices and come up with your own Italian blend, similar to what would be used in sweet Italian sausage and I think it would do very, very well. Just don't change your sugar or acid amounts.

Exactly what I was thinking...fennel and anise and red pepper flakes. Oh, thanks for the stuffinjars or whatever link....that lady is hoot to read and a fearless pickler

She really is great. I could never be a food blogger.
The people who comment....OMG. They drive me nuts.

"Um....I changed everything about this recipe but it didn't set up properly. This recipe sucks!"

"Um...my country uses different measurements, can you post a recipe using measurements for my country?"

"I haven't made this recipe, but let me tell you my thoughts on it....."

"I can't find any tomatoes, can I substitute apples instead?"

She really is great. I could never be a food blogger.
The people who comment....OMG. They drive me nuts.

"Um....I changed everything about this recipe but it didn't set up properly. This recipe sucks!"

"Um...my country uses different measurements, can you post a recipe using measurements for my country?"

"I haven't made this recipe, but let me tell you my thoughts on it....."

"I can't find any tomatoes, can I substitute apples instead?"

Yeah BUT....how many times have you read a recipe, gone in the kitchen and found out you don't have half of what you need, so just start slinging stuff together and it turns out amazing (ok sometimes disgusting) and always fun??!!

I love the create and eat parts...writing, not so much! She is just a good story teller...you can just see her getting tipsy and stuffing zucs in jars!

Latest posts

Back