DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i honestly do not know if the sk will remove the sorbate..
i would check abv,ph, and add sorbate according charts for said ph and abv...that way you wont be over doing it.

Well, after the DB clears I guess I'll just have to re-sorbate, as the super-kleer will pull out the sorbate too....correct?

No need to re-sorbate, it will not all be stripped out. I have done it that way many times. I always put my sorbate in the bottom of an empty carboy and rack the wine onto it, then add clearing agents.

Wine is 10-13% alcohol, the leftover is water. No need to mix sorbate with water and add to wine. There is plenty of water in your wine.

i dis agree with you mason...there is no water left, its alcohol...and sorbate will not disolve in alcohol....look it up.

Awesome tshank. An inspiration to those of us working on our first batch.

How close did you stick to Dave's DB recipe/instructions?

Thanx...

I followed the recipe exactly, next batch I plan on adding more fruit.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I followed Dave's recipe verbatim with the exception of only using 32oz of lemon juice as opposed to 48. Planning on adding his suggestion of 3/4 cups of sugar per gallon also. I'll check the SG to see what that will bring it to for future reference. After this first batch I can experiment as necessary.

Yeah, I'm sticking to the recipe but maybe switching up the steps a bit. If I generally like the results the first time around I might try a second batch with some tweaks/adjustments of my own or what others here have tried and are pleased with the results of theirs.

So.....I started a batch of blueberry only Dragon's blood (Jet Blue) on Wed....
I used wild blueberries and added 1/4 tsp K-meta just in case! :)
I pitched my yeast Thurs, and now I have a VERY active ferment. So much so that the bubbles are actually pushing up the lid on the primary, and I can see some air space.
I didn't have this happen last time, but last time I used 6lbs of fruit and this Time I'm using 9, and I didn't reduce any of the liquid in the recipe to compensate....

So anyway, my question is, is this ok? Should I be worried about contamination? Will the CO2 given off keep my batch safe?

Thanks!

The c02 will keep it safe. Once the fermentation is no longer vigorous. Secure the lid and add airlock for rest of the primary fermentation

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Rosa, your db needs as much oxygen as you can give it, to keep that ferment rolling.....Restricting the oxygen can be worst then worrying about contamination during ferment.
I ferment in 5 and 7 gallon buckets and brute cans all the time...I never use a lid , just a cloth...and I ferment to dry in the primary.

Once your wine is down to 1.010, it does not need that much oxygen, either snap the lid down and add an airlock or rack to a carboy and add an airlock. The last thing you want to do is to introduce oxidation to your wine.

Still cookin as of this Sunday morning. I'm guessing in two days (Tuesday) I'll be moving to Step 4: When the SG drops to <1.000, do the following:.

Day 1 (Monday) DB started SG 1.075
Day 2 (Tuesday) Pitched yeast. SG 1.074, Temp 80F +-
Day 5 (Friday) SG 1.040, Temp 80F +-
Day 7 (Sunday) SG 1.014, Temp 80F +-

I agree with julie, oxidation is the last thing you want to happen to a wine.
no matter what stage.
some move wine to a carboy when its 1.110
some wait till its 1.100
some ferment to dry in the primary.
no matter what, it needs an airlock at the end of fermentation, to clear and stabilize.

[ QUOTE=jamesngalveston;496106]I agree with julie, oxidation is the last thing you want to happen to a wine.
no matter what stage.
some move wine to a carboy when its 1.110
some wait till its 1.100
some ferment to dry in the primary.
no matter what, it needs an airlock at the end of fermentation, to clear and stabilize.[/QUOTE]

Think James meant 1.010 and 1.000 :) sound like everyone's batches are going well!! I started mine on Feb. 24th in the evening and it's now down to 1.030 so getting close...

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back