DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a white peach port , in clearing stage, just about ready to bottle.

That sure is purdy. Was that made from juice?

Gives me an idea for next year. I have a very young white peach tree that produced a lot of peaches this year. We didn't get any because a raccoon ate them while we were on vacation. But I'll camp out with my Red Ryder next summer to make sure WE get them.

I just started a batch yesterday and pitched the yeast ec-1118. My temp is about 68 degrees. It's been 7 hrs shud I b seeing any activity yet? I have no heat rap so will that temp b ok?

I just started a batch yesterday and pitched the yeast ec-1118. My temp is about 68 degrees. It's been 7 hrs shud I b seeing any activity yet? I have no heat rap so will that temp b ok?

Wrap it up real good with a heavy blanket or comforter to keep any heat produced by the yeast in there. I regularly ferment at that temp, so it should not be an issue. It will produce a smoother, fruitier wine than fermenting warmer.

Is it working today? Give it a full 48 hours before being concerned. Did you follow the recipe exactly?

Thanks Dave. I checked this mourning and yeast is working. I've never done a yeast starter. I've just always pitched yeast in liquid and it's worked. My temp is about 69 degrees. I've followed directions exact. Smells great. I'll just keep going as directions say so I'll be stirring this adternoon.

I think you will be suprised at how good this wine is, for such a short time from ferment to bottle....
And remember you can make all kinds of different variations to your liking.

My Blue Blood (Blueberry Dragons Blood) is bubbling.
I've made 23litres of this one. :i

On to batch #6 soon. Oh dear, about that addict forum ;-)

Can someone tell me what colour the Blueberry comes out?
Is it more blue than purple or red? (thinking labels here)...

3kg of blueberries which I think is 6.6lbs in America?
I can add more if need be.

Is there away that determines how much different fruit to use in a batch or is it all personal preference?

I've only done 5 batches, so sort of still following the recipe pretty closely.
Don't mess to much with what works! IMHO :try

boozehound...as a rule light color fruits have less flavor when combined with water.
peach,mango,banana,apple are not real flavorable.
strawberrys,blueberries,blackberries, etc have more flavor.

as a rule for my wine...i use about 6 lbs of each fruit.....
if using frozen concentrates i use 4 cans per gallon......
if using juice i use as little water as possible.

Thanks James. I had a gal that gave me a bucket of raspberrys that wants me to make her wine with them. I was thinkn I'll just make a batch of DB with them. She wants it sweet so I think this will b perfect. I got them in freezer now and I'm pretty sure there's at least 6lbs.

Can someone tell me what colour the Blueberry comes out?
Is it more blue than purple or red? (thinking labels here)...

Mine comes out red like the DB. I've got a batch clearing now that has some extra blueberries soaking in it. I think it will be darker, but still red.

Mine comes out red like the DB. I've got a batch clearing now that has some extra blueberries soaking in it. I think it will be darker, but still red.

What a shame; I had in my head it would come out more blue (bear in mind I've never used blueberries before - they're really expensive over here like $15 per kilogram), I splashed out for this batch and noticed when I squeezed the bags it was still (boring old) red... LOL I thought I'd use clear bottles and have this awesome blue coloured wine! Damn!

How many kg's/lbs of blueberries do you have in your batch Dave? I added some strawberries also just because I had them ;-)

to get blue wine.... start with a peach,mango,apple, are any white.
drop two drops of blue food coloring...will not impart the flavor are the taste.....thats how the wineries do it.

vivid do they grow blackberries where you live...

Yes; can do. I just bought eight raspberry plants, 4 each of two different varieties. Putting them in the ground today! We fight fungal diseases a bit here, it's pretty humid at times, but I'm putting them where I'll get some good airflow so hoping they will be alright.

Latest posts

Back