Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! I may play around with a portrait orientation. I live in the Linux operating system at home, so I'm using a native Linux app for the labels (gLabels), and I don't think it'll let me bleed to the edge like your label does. But I'll see what I might be able to pull off in terms of design.
I also use Linux, design in Scribus and then use label template in libre office. Export Scribus design to a jpg
Never used Glabels when I used Ubuntu but used Gimp, Gimp is very powerful.

A reply +1 to my Linux brethren.
Up until about 3-4 years ago (when I joined executive management) Linux was my bread and butter. It was my professional career and obviously what paid my bills since late 1998. :db

I also use Linux, design in Scribus and then use label template in libre office. Export Scribus design to a jpg

I'll have to look closer at the label feature in LibreOffice.

The main reason I went with gLabels is that most of the common Avery templates are in there, and if you don't need an entire sheet of labels (say you made 23 last time and only used 3 labels on the 3rd sheet), it gives you the option of starting or stopping at any position on the page.

glabels_selective.png

With LibreOffice you have to copy and paste the labels into each spot you want, I may look at glabel and see what it can do with my Scribus JPGs

So it looks like you can in fact bleed beyond the guidelines in gLabels. I made a 2x4 JPG and stretched it slightly beyond each edge of the design template. One thing I noticed was that no matter how far I stretched it at the top, my printer still left a tiny band unprinted along the tops. I suppose I could get around that by making sure the very top of the label design was white - this was just a quickly thrown together test.

2018-03-07%2017_09_43.jpg

Also look into Avery 06468. They are the 2*4 removable labels, much easier when cleaning bottles.

Also look into Avery 06468. They are the 2*4 removable labels, much easier when cleaning bottles.

Thanks for the tip. I've only bottled one batch so far, so I'm not far enough along to have tested how easily the 8163s come off after soaking.

The removables don't need soaking, pick at a corner and it peels off clean.

So it looks like you can in fact bleed beyond the guidelines in gLabels. I made a 2x4 JPG and stretched it slightly beyond each edge of the design template. One thing I noticed was that no matter how far I stretched it at the top, my printer still left a tiny band unprinted along the tops. I suppose I could get around that by making sure the very top of the label design was white - this was just a quickly thrown together test.

2018-03-07%2017_09_43.jpg

Pretty nice for a quick thrown together test.

I like it. The colors, the leaves, and the shape are all great. It probably is the engineer in me, but the balance seems a bit off though. Maybe move the date to the upper-right? Or put the ABV there? I'm often told that things don't always have to be balanced though. Art has never been my thing.

I like it. The colors, the leaves, and the shape are all great. It probably is the engineer in me, but the balance seems a bit off though. Maybe move the date to the upper-right? Or put the ABV there? I'm often told that things don't always have to be balanced though. Art has never been my thing.

I thought about that too and thought about adding the ABV to the bottom left to "balance" the layout.

Latest posts

Back