We’re RACKED!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Rshosted, Curt, and Masta for the confidence building tips on just how to rack the primary to the carboy.
smiley32.gif
My son got home from school, we cleaned and sanitized, checked thefloating thermometer, cleaned and sanitized, andthesg (1.002 at 78F, corrected to 1.004) which was under our target of 1.010 -- so we, cleaned and sanitized, got everything ready to go, cleaned and sanitized, set it up, sanitized, and RACKED! Did I say we made sure to clean and sanitize?
smiley36.gif

2006-02-09_201542_NickWineTHMB.jpg

Congratulations OilN!

The first one is a biggie and gets you primed for much more to come.

You and BMW are just about in sync and will have similar experiences at
almost the same time.

Judging by the amount of headspace you have (assuming that's a 6 gallon
carboy I see), get several bottles of a wine similar to what you are making
to use for topping off. One may do it, with a little additional water, but it
will be handy to have two. Keep up the good work! It is a rewarding
experience.

Bill

Good Job...looks like your son is pretty excited about making wine!

Thanks, Bill -- will do. Of course, I may have to TRY it to insure it's up to spec's!

And yes, Masta -- he's enjoying this, and loved talking to his chemistry teacher about his real-world lab!

smiley36.gif

OilnH20

Looks good and like you're having fun
smiley4.gif
. I racked my Merlot last night and have about the same amount of headspace, so I will take Bill's advice and have a couple of bottles handy for topping up.

My Griz cub wishes he could be home to watch the process, I should have thought of this when he was in chemistry class.

BMW,

YOUR Griz Cub will be even MORE happy about your new endeavor because he's closer to 21 than MY cub! So you will be able to share with him -- and isn't he going to realize just how SMART you are!
smiley16.gif

Oiln, Are you sure you sanitized?
smiley36.gif

Congratulations on the first "scary step." How old is the cub there?

PWP

Thanks! It was EARL who told me, early on, "three words to live by: clean and sanitize!" and I figured he was speaking from experience! So, I wanted him to know, if he read the post, that I GOT THE MESSAGE!
smiley2.gif

As for my "cub" -- He'll be 15 in June and is a freshman in high school. I really owe BMW an apology,
smiley9.gif
by the way, because I referred to her son as her a "Grizzly cub" after she spoke about visiting "her baby" here in Missoula "at the U." (Aren't all our kids, no matter their age, still "our babies?" Mine are too!) The University of Montana is here in Missoula and are known as the Grizzlies -- While I may have a "cub" she has a student at the University of Montana, thus a bonafide, honest-to-goodness GRIZZLY!BMW's son isno longer a cub! (But, I'm sure he's still her baby!)

smiley10.gif
Edited by: OilnH2O

OilnH2O said:
PWP

Thanks! It was EARL who told me, early on, "three words to live by: clean and sanitize!" and I figured he was speaking from experience! So, I wanted him to know, if he read the post, that I GOT THE MESSAGE!
smiley2.gif

As for my "cub" -- He'll be 15 in June and is a freshman in high school. I really owe BMW an apology,
smiley9.gif
by the way, because I referred to her son as her a "Grizzly cub" after she spoke about visiting "her baby" here in Missoula "at the U." (Aren't all our kids, no matter their age, still "our babies?" Mine are too!) The University of Montana is here in Missoula and are known as the Grizzlies -- While I may have a "cub" she has a student at the University of Montana, thus a bonafide, honest-to-goodness GRIZZLY!BMW's son isno longer a cub! (But, I'm sure he's still her baby!)

smiley10.gif

OilnH20

Apology not necessary, my son even laughed when I told him he had been dubbed my GRIZ cub.
smiley36.gif
He is a very good natured, easy going guy. I always tell him no matter how big (he's closer to the size of a full grown Grizzly Bear) or old he gets he will be my baby.

I think it is great that your son is part of this exciting process of making wine, I think it is as good of a lesson in chemistry as anything they teach in class and so much fun to watch. I can tell from the picture he is enjoying it.

I racked my Pinot Thursday to the first carboy. I have maybe 4 inches of head space, don't think I'll have to top up at all when I add the fining agent. Will take some pics later and post them here as well as a test label that I'm working on.

Steve

That's great! We've a WE Selection Pinot sitting waiting to go into the primary either today or tomorrow -- my son is busy with chores and wants to wait until tomorrow -- so that will probably be the order for today! But we're having fun!

Looks tasty! Once you get going, you'll need more counter space for those carboys... those that you'll be starting soon.
smiley2.gif

Let us know how it progresses.

Yes, our cubs are always our cubs or babies, no matter how old they get. My towering-over-me 18 yr old son knows the routine and doesn't even get upset when I refer to him as my baby boy. I think he doesn't want to fully lose status as the baby of the family to the cats!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back