Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Equipment & Sanitation > Crack in glass carboy

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #21
Stevelaz

Apr 2016
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Dam! That had to hurt!

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #22
jmac

Feb 2017

I'll bet it did. Thankfully not mine. It is suitable enough for me to be suitablely warned lol

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #23
ohiowino

May 2016
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I had no idea wine making was so dangerous! Does anyone bulk age in plastic?

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #24
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Aug 2011
Liked 702 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 1606

This is just my perspective -

I see that most age in glass -

Yes you must be careful when handling any glass container - the person trying to clean a carboy in a porcelain tub - BAD IDEA !!

This is one of the many reasons I came up with the Allinonewinepump - so there is no lifting of any full carboys. I also recommend using crates to move the carboys safely, protects the bottom and sides and easier to carry.

When cleaning add 1 gallon of cleaner or sanitizer and use the drill operated carboy cleaner - this way you are only lifting 1 gallon of water while dumping the carboy, much safer.

Just make sure that there is no big water temperature change as that is one of the first things that will cause stress cracks.

I have alot of carboys - I broke 1 due to extreme temperature change - it just cracked , luckily it was empty.

I did come up with an accessory for the Allinonewinepump to now transfer into plastic (PET ) carboys under vacuum - no lifting of any full carboys

http://www.allinonewinepump.com/prod...-transfer-kit/

Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #25
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 230 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Now hear is a point I over looked if you in a tight find a glass place that repairs windshields, daarlarms have more then just a point on his head, don't get the glass place to fix it vacuum wrong direction do as darlarm sad use epoxy but pull vacuum from inside, if you do let me know, that interests me, I still say safely chunk it but you never know and glass repair epoxy can't cost much for just a dab, you can even pull your vacuum using winepumpmans head space elemanator tack empty but under vac to glass shop and have em dab it,
Dawg

QUOTE=dralarms;638712]I agree with everyone else here, but before you trash it try an experiment. Get some 2 part epoxy and put the carboy under vacuum and see if it will suck some epoxy into the crack. Just to see if if it's actually a crack all the way through or if it's a surface crack or just and imperfection.[/QUOTE]
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #26
Stevelaz

Apr 2016
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiowino View Post
I had no idea wine making was so dangerous! Does anyone bulk age in plastic?
Yes! I really like em! See my post above.