Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #681
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1332 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 834

[QUOTE=joeswine;638606]
Johnd: have you made one of these kits yet?

No, I have not made one of these kits. Does that invalidate my observation?

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #682
Tnuscan
Tnuscan=Tennesseean

Mar 2012
Liked 255 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 711

I just took a gallon and thought I would drop the TA from where it is to 5.5 g/L.
Just for experiments sake, as I was doing this I pulled a ceeaton, Ooops, I mean pulled a glass, and yes it is young, a little acidic, but I can drink it right as rain. Staggering a little but right as rain.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #683
joeswine
joeswine

Nov 2007
Liked 663 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No just asked if you did.nothing more.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #684
EastcoastWino

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeswine View Post
jlfpa;the flow sounds good just check the PH before you start, always have control of the process. Stay the course.
Throwdown: how has the finial results been?
Tnuscan: nice control, can you answer Johnd?
Johnd: have you made one of these kits yet?

EastCoastWino:..on the trinity just some med oak and good ABV keep it simple.,,The Sangiovese,plums in the secondary,med.oak or dark cherries ( both as home made fpacs)for the cab w/skins1/2 cup of black currents in the primary, then follow the MFG. process, on all three adjust the ABV. to your preference.
to all of you above have fun and always 'think outside the box'
Hi Joeswine,

Thank you for the advice! I'm picking up the kits, and supplies today. Can you please explain MFG process?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #685
joeswine
joeswine

Nov 2007

That's just to say follow the manufacturer process.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #686
Tnuscan
Tnuscan=Tennesseean

Mar 2012
Liked 255 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 711

Hey! I found a few bottles of the Fontana Merlot , tweeked per joes thread, these numbers are pH 3.4 with a TA @ 5.5 and it's pretty nice. I'm hiding these for another year to see what happens. I know some feel different about the numbers, but hey I like to play with the toys.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #687
EastcoastWino

Feb 2017

Hi Joeswine,

My girlfriend and I took full advantage of the sale and got the WE Trinity White, and Diablo Rojo as well as the kits I mentioned earlier. We have a lot of wine making ahead of us haha! Any chance you could recommend some tweaks for the WE Trinity White, and the Diablo Rojo. We will be getting started today

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #688
joeswine
joeswine

Nov 2007

Trinity white follow the same game plan using some grapefruit zest along the way the Diablo rojo. I haven't gotten good responses from compition resluts with this one,if you can,don't do it yet. I have someone that will give me a better direction to go to for my corrective action. Thanks

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #689
Tom
Super Moderator

Nov 2006
Liked 81 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Joe. sorry I didn't get back to you. My Prostate cancer is hitting me hard. PSA is 725.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #690
johnxbrown

Feb 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This thread has been amazing. Thank you for all the time putting this info forward! Found the site in general by searching for tweaking wine kits and had to join on this alone. Tried to get this kind of conversation going on reddit's wine community and they gave me crap because "real wine is made is made with grapes, not from a kit". Who knew redditors were so elitist.

Anyways, I just did a Heritage Estates pinot noir (44$ CAD on sale). Put it on the lees of another higher end PN that used RC 212 yeast, but also kept in the bag of raisins/dried grape skins from an Primeur Select Amarone.

Since this will be the third time in a primary, I don't know how much body will be imparted from the dried grapes, so I added a pound of raisins and 2 cups of sauteed blueberries. I've already added extra tannin, oak and sugar as per prior post, anything I'm missing specific to a pinot noir? Lemon zest maybe?

Also, later tonight will be doing a Heritage Estates Pinot Gris. I was thinking of throwing that on the lees of a grapefruit wine I'm about to transfer since I've seen lots about adding grapefruit zest. Might not subtle, but I'm not opposed to a hybrid white fruit wine. I did do a rhubarb lavender Pinot Gris (cheeky monkey kit) that turned out great, I might do a post about that in the near future.