Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent! Thank you again, Craig! We'll dose tonight and rack n' clear next.

Jim, what did you do with yours after MLF?

Rack, KMETA and 'fugghetaboutit'. Actually just took the chromo paper out to dry. Will hopefully be doing that racking later today or tomorrow.

Excellent! Thank you again, Craig! We'll dose tonight and rack n' clear next.

Jim, what did you do with yours after MLF?

I'll see my Sister in an hour or two and give her a baggie with the test paper in it so you can hang it on your MLF trophy wall...sort of like the dollar bill in the picture frame for people who open a new business.

So Craig and I combined a 375 of his Lanza Zinfandel and a 375 of my Lanza Petite Sirah. It's now in a 750 bottle and will settle over the next month or so.

Looking forward to what this two-headed monster will taste like.

I suspect you will like the results.

A Tale of Two Lanzas?

I think we will, too, Jim. These two big wines are hugely compatible.

I know I'll have a little of that same blend myself. Maybe not the same ratio, but certainly a combo of those two wines.

Tasted mine on Friday. Very nice. Ultra dry - almost chalky. Gonna be great in that blend, but on its own as well. Good fruit in the background that seems to be trying to come out.

So Craig and I combined a 375 of his Lanza Zinfandel and a 375 of my Lanza Petite Sirah. It's now in a 750 bottle and will settle over the next month or so.

Looking forward to what this two-headed monster will taste like.

Tonight I'm doing an "around the world" tasting of the carboys, since most of them need racked and Kmeta'd, and I usually try and taste before adding more Kmeta. First two were the Lanza Zin and the local Cab Franc. I'd love to try a 45% Petite Sirah, 45% Lanza Zin and a 10% Cab Franc. There is just something that can't be easily described about the Cab Franc. I added some to my Zin "trial" glass, and it seemed to marry up pretty nicely. I'll have to get you another 375 of the Zin along with a 375 of the Cab Franc and let you blend. I think it is something worth pursuing.

Tonight I'm doing an "around the world" tasting of the carboys, since most of them need racked and Kmeta'd, and I usually try and taste before adding more Kmeta. First two were the Lanza Zin and the local Cab Franc. I'd love to try a 45% Petite Sirah, 45% Lanza Zin and a 10% Cab Franc. There is just something that can't be easily described about the Cab Franc. I added some to my Zin "trial" glass, and it seemed to marry up pretty nicely. I'll have to get you another 375 of the Zin along with a 375 of the Cab Franc and let you blend. I think it is something worth pursuing.

That sounds like a great idea. I have a 750 of the PS that we can use to experiment.

Tasted mine on Friday. Very nice. Ultra dry - almost chalky. Gonna be great in that blend, but on its own as well. Good fruit in the background that seems to be trying to come out.

Tasted mine after church this morning. Dramatically different wine. Powerful with an inner calm. Dry with a blueberry aftertaste.

That sounds like a great idea. I have a 750 of the PS that we can use to experiment.
I'll extract a 750 of the Zin and a 375 of the Cab Franc since they are both due to be racked in early March. Just need to work on a topping wine since I think the Dornfelder is a bit too strong for the Cab Franc. Probably fine for the Zin.

Has anyone bottled their wine from last fall yet? Can't wait to taste this again. Was thinking of bottling at 9 months or a year.

I can tell someone isn't busy campaigning anymore, whatever happened to extended aging and ignoring your wine?

I was thinking the same for the Lanza Zin, but I'm trying to have patience. I would like to taste that blend you made up, wasn't it 50/50?

I can tell someone isn't busy campaigning anymore, whatever happened to extended aging and ignoring your wine?

I was thinking the same for the Lanza Zin, but I'm trying to have patience. I would like to taste that blend you made up, wasn't it 50/50?

Idle hands....

Whether I bottle or not, I do need to rack the four wines I have aging.

I need to do a barrel swap. Zin and Petite Sirah have been in a little longer than planned and its time for the Cab and Syrah. They may have a shorter time, as I will need to bottle in August or early September to make room for 2017.

Latest posts

Back