Pressing Grapefruit today for 5 gallon batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsamuelson

Reaction score
Pressing juice for Grapefruit wine today. Fruit fresh off the tree. This will be my first attempt at grapefruit. Was planning to use Red Star Pasteur Blanc Champagne Yeast - looking for confirmation that is the right choice or suggestion for another yeast. Starting with some good looking fruit .. hope to end up with some nice drinking wine in a year or so!

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

How much juice do you use for a 5 gallon batch. I just squeezed 4 gallons of juice and am looking to start a batch in a month or so. Till then, I am freezing the juice. I squeezed about 12 gallons of satsuma juice for wine a well.

I am following Jack Kellers recipe at winemaking.jackkeller.net - using aprox. 32 large grapefruits for 5 gal batch. I have the juice and zest in the freezer until I get a chance to start it. I believe it's about 2.5gal of juice. First time for grapefruit wine.

I started a grapefruit wine last spring...still bulk aging it though. It is still a little sour. I have read in some other threads that one should maybe use a little less zest than called for in the primary fermentation stage. My grapefruit shows promise but I think it just needs to age on a bit. Just thought i would offer my 2 cents of advice. I also used Mr Keller's recipe, #2, if i recall properly

Latest posts

Back