Another Wisconsinite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrontenacMan

Reaction score
Greetings all from Wisconsin (Oconomowoc). I've jumped into winemaking after planting 6 Frontenac vines (3 Frontenac and 3 Frontenac Gris). They are now going on 4 years old and I harvested my first crop this last fall - 5 gallons each and started my first wine from fresh grapes:db. I look forward to more this year. While waiting for their maturity and yield I have made a few kits to learn the art of wine making.

Welcome to the forum!

I've never been to your part of the country. It is nice that you can grow grapes there.

Thanks Bill. Yes, the Frontenac is a cold climate wine grape developed by the University of Minnesota. I've always wanted to try my hand at growing grapes and discovered this varietal while dining at a restaurant in Northern Wisconsin where they served Frontenac wine. So I purchased some vines from a local nursery and went from there.

Thanks Bill. Yes, the Frontenac is a cold climate wine grape developed by the University of Minnesota. I've always wanted to try my hand at growing grapes and discovered this varietal while dining at a restaurant in Northern Wisconsin where they served Frontenac wine. So I purchased some vines from a local nursery and went from there.

That's cool! [pun intended] If I were a younger man I'd give some serious thoughts to growing my own grapes. I do kits, country wine and have one juice bucket under my belt but have no intentions of doing a wine from grapes - much less grapes I've grown myself. I do see though how satisfying and rewarding it would be to produce a decent wine having started with your very own vines. Good for you!

Welcome. How did your first harvest taste? I am in Milwaukee and have thought about buying some local fresh grapes.

Thanks. The jury is still out on how it will turn out. I currently have a post running in the Wine From Grapes section. The Frontenac Gris looks like it will be good but the Frontenac is a little trickier. The problem is dealing with the higher acidity of cold weather grapes. Also I think I harvested just a bit too soon. Lessons learned. If you are interested in sourcing local grapes, Mitchell Vineyard in Oregon WI. grows local varieties and allows you to pick your own. http://www.mitchell-vineyard.com/

We also have a vineyard with grapes for sale to local winemakers. We are located about 35 minutes north of Milwaukee. If you are interested in learning more, feel free to private message me.

Back