Other Kit Rose??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the F pack just give color, or does it add some sweetness?? I just finished up an Eclipse Sauv Blanc kit(which I like), but don't want to make it again if this Rose' kit is the same wine with just a pink coloration. Thanks

If you follow the directions it gets added post fermentation so it will give color and sweetness in this case. I added my entire F-pack up front and fermented to dry as I like my Rose' dry. Worked perfect and taste was amazing.

Does the F pack just give color, or does it add some sweetness?? I just finished up an Eclipse Sauv Blanc kit(which I like), but don't want to make it again if this Rose' kit is the same wine with just a pink coloration. Thanks

If you follow the directions it gets added post fermentation so it will give color and sweetness in this case. I added my entire F-pack up front and fermented to dry as I like my Rose' dry. Worked perfect and taste was amazing.

That sounds like what I'll most likely be doing. A dry Rosè is the exact thing I've been keeping my eye out for. When I start this kit I hope I can lean on you for different things

Also, do you think this sauv franc Rosè could be one of those kits that benefit from condensing the 6 gallon batch to a 5 gal??
I've got plenty of empty 5s but no empty 6s. Shouldn't take away from the Rosè tint too much. Gonna wing it and decide later.Just a thought.

No, this is basically a limited release type of Kit so its made from good/very good starting materials.

If all you have are 5G carboys, then make it as directed and ferment it down to ~1.03 in the bucket, rack what you can into the 5G carboy and put the rest into another appropriate sized jug/bottle that you can add an airlock to and then combine it all back together when it reaches dry. You should end up with ~ 5G in the end.

Also, do you think this sauv franc Rosè could be one of those kits that benefit from condensing the 6 gallon batch to a 5 gal??
I've got plenty of empty 5s but no empty 6s. Shouldn't take away from the Rosè tint too much. Gonna wing it and decide later.Just a thought.

No, this is basically a limited release type of Kit so its made from good/very good starting materials.

And that is the exact info/opinion I was looking for. My only 6 gal is currently aging and have read about condensing cheaper kits and was curious. I wouldnt go through the trouble of 2 different vessels though. I will pick up another 6 gal.
I Most definitely will go dry. With the skin pack in the primary also. And to be honest, reading the thread "Thinking Outside the Box" has got me constantly looking for ways to enhance the product. Wheels are always spinning.

This has no "skin pack" It just comes with a 1L F-Pack of sweetened red grape juice. Just dump it into the primary bucket along with the Sauv Blanc Must and then bring it up to the 23L mark on your bucket and ferment to dry.

This has no "skin pack" It just comes with a 1L F-Pack of sweetened red grape juice. Just dump it into the primary bucket along with the Sauv Blanc Must and then bring it up to the 23L mark on your bucket and ferment to dry.

Would you not bring it to 23L, THEN add the f-pack? IIRC, the instructions have you starting fermentation with a full 23L, then doing f-pack later.

I think you could make it either way, its such a small F-pack. Maybe that's why mine turned out so good as it was more intensely concentrated by 1L! :)

Would you not bring it to 23L, THEN add the f-pack? IIRC, the instructions have you starting fermentation with a full 23L, then doing f-pack later.

Just ordered the Pinot Rose. Looking forward to it. If you have any tweaking suggestions for that kit, please let me know!

What's the makeup of a Rosè with a red base? The white with red f-pack is self explanatory. But The Pinot Noir and cab sauv are darker reds. Is there a white involved to balance for the Rosè?
I've made juice bucket blends 2 part white to 1 part red that we're comparable to Rosè. What don't I know?

No this type of Rose' is harvested earlier than similar typical red varietals so the acids are high and the brix is lower. They then crush and let the must sit on the skins for a short period of time so that it extracts just a hint of color then press off the skins and begin fermentation.

What the makeup of a Rosè with a red base? The white with red f-pack is self explanatory. But The Pinot Noir and cab sauv are darker reds. Is there a white involved to balance for the Rosè?

I've been eyeing that WE Sauv. Blanc Rose kit since I heard it was coming out, and then minutes ago in this thread, I discovered the Cab Sauv Rose Passport kit and I immediately purchased it from FVW. It looks too good to pass up, I might still get the WE LE kit if my local shop is able to source it but if the flavor profile is anywhere near the description for the Passport kit, I will be more than happy. Glad I found this thead!!

Coming in on the bottom end of target (1.080-1.100) SG at 1.085. And that's With the f-pack. Do I raise her up or let her be?? Hmmmm

You're looking at 11.5-12% ABV there. Its a matter of preference at this point. I'd say 1.100 is definitely too high for a Rose though. I'd be tempted to tweak it up to around 1.090 - I tend to go 12-13% for white wines and Rose.

Looked at my notes and I added all f-pack up front + 3/4 cup simple syrup to bump up to 1.090 starting SG.

Well look at that. Our notes happen to be identical. I put the f-pack in up front as per your suggestion. And then I saw Boatboys post while I was making some provisional simple syrup and mulling it over and went for it, bringing I up to 1.090. (2 different hydrometers read 1.088 and 1.092. Kind of annoying thing to deal with. But alas this issue is for another post for another day)
Sitting pretty at 72° and pitched the provided EC 1118. Slightly rehydrated the yeast with an accidental bump to the bucket but all is well.

Winter storm of the year and possible blizzard just hours from commencing? Going through my list:
Milk? Check
Bread? Check
New rosè kit waiting to start cookin away? Check
ImageUploadedByWine Making1489452833.351056.jpg
All the advice given is much appreciated.

Instructions call for the F pack to be added at the second clearing racking. And removing enough wine from the (23 L starting) batch to allow for the pack. And also states to save this to be used later for topping off.

Instructions call for the F pack to be added at the second clearing racking. And removing enough wine from the (23 L starting) batch to allow for the pack. And also states to save this to be used later for topping off.

Yep. But many of us want a less sweet wine and add some, or all, of the fPack during primary fermentation, so those sugars are fermented away.

Back