WineXpert LE Blanc de Noir fermentation recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered my kit through homebrewsupply, I called them two days ago and they don't know when their kits will arrive. Anyone else waiting beside me?

I'm waiting for someone to have it in stock and feel like I might go into panic mode if I miss out on this one. Perhaps I will order the QA23 whilst I wait. I've never tried a white Pinot Noir and I'm not sure what to expect... I like dry over sweet.

Okay, I'm a little obsessed... I have had three tabs open on my computer for the last few days: FVW, HBS, and LP. A few times each day I would hit the refresh button to see if any of the three retailers had WE LE Blanc de Noir back in stock. As of this morning, HBS states it is available. Ordered. :db

I have the LE blanc de noir kit as well. Not surprised it comes with EC 1118.

If I understand correctly thus is WE go to yeast because it is safe/ reliable?

What difference would I see by using the yeast in the beginning of this thread?

The instructions always have just sprinkle on and not rehydrate. Would I need to rehydrate?

Mine went to 0.992, after stabilizing and adding f-pack it came up to 0.999, yes a hair lower than 1.000

I'm ok with that.

pH though shows 3.51 after degassing well and adding f-pack, a bit high but will taste and recheck after a couple weeks.

Mine went to 0.992, after stabilizing and adding f-pack it came up to 0.999, yes a hair lower than 1.000

I'm ok with that.

Would you do anything different with the f-pack if you had it to do over? Did you add the sorbate?

Would you do anything different with the f-pack if you had it to do over? Did you add the sorbate?

For me, the f-pack is a small one; I'd repeat the same process again and add the entire f-pack at the end to back sweeten.

Any time you add sugar to the fermented wine you need to add sorbate to inhibit the yeast from starting the fermentation again, if you want the added sugar to stay and not get fermented.

I know this is still a little early but does anyone have any tasting notes or thoughts? I'm thinking of picking up one from HBS.

Haven't even started mine yet.

The f-pack kinda surprised me a bit, but I'll probably put half of it in primary.

I know this is still a little early but does anyone have any tasting notes or thoughts? I'm thinking of picking up one from HBS.

I started mine on March 5, stabilized on March 15 when I placed into a carboy for clearing and really have forgotten about it since I had many things going on in the last couple weeks.
But I know it is clear and ready to be racked again.
I will try to rack again tonight and try to taste it.

Note: mine ended at 0.992 and after adding the whole f-pack at the end it came up to 0.999~1.000, which is perfect for me.

Note: mine ended at 0.992 and after adding the whole f-pack at the end it came up to 0.999~1.000, which is perfect for me.

Good to know - maybe I'll hold off on using some in primary and just add slowly, tasting along the way, of course. :dg

I am excited about this kit, but I do not know what to expect. Since I am a partial to dry wines, I added the entire f-pack to the primary, and now I am wondering how I should top off this wine for bulk aging. Allow me to share my notes on this process, and please make suggestions if you see any red flags:

3/26 (step 1) - pitched QA23, SG 1.100 after adding entire f-pack
4/2 - SG 1.030 - have to leave town and will leave in primary until I return - 65 degrees (ambient temp)
4/7 - (step 2) - SG .990, racked to secondary
4/14 - (step 3) added k-meta, did not add sorbate, degassed with drill, added kit clarifier, degassed again with drill (still at 65 degrees)
4/24 - (step 4) racked into new carboy, added kmeta
Today - wine is not as clear as others have been by this time. Perhaps I should warm it up and try degassing one more time? I plan to rack again in a week for bulk aging, but currently there is quite a bit of head space - any topping suggestions? Should I use what space I have to fill with a backsweetner since the SG is so low? All guidance is greatly appreciated.

Mine was racked to 6gal carboy and had space but I used the head space eliminator from Steve during the entire clearing process for a couple of weeks, I even forgot about this kit.
I then racked down to 5gal carboy since it is cleared.

NOTE: WE kits now only bring a very small clarifying agent and I noticed it takes MUCH longer to clear compared to other kits from CC for example, which use the 2-step process.

You may be ok not topping off but maybe depending on how long. Can you rack down?

Also, yes, bring the temp up a bit to another warmer room, it should help.

Do you think I should degass again or leave it alone?

Thank you for your feedback - I think I will order the headspace eliminator today (and eventually get the AIO). I do have a 5 gallon carboy reserved for a plum wine I am planning to start this weekend, but I think I will reduce the plum recipe to three gallons, order a three gallon carboy, and use the 5 gallon when it is time to bulk age the Blanc de Noir. I find that one never has too many carboys ;)

I saw you degassed twice during stalibilization, did you see any foam or lots of bubbles still forming? Degassing is important for the wine to clear properly.

Post a pic of the carboy. A warmer temp will speed clearing process a bit.

I did see foam and drilled until the bubbles had decreased quite a bit. The following pictures show 1.) the full view of Blanc de Noir 2.) my hand on the other side of the Blanc carboy, and 3.) my hand on the other side of my Luna Bianca (started 3/3).

Blanc 1.jpg

Blanc 2.jpg

Luna 1.jpg

Back