Packlab Has anyone added Alexanders Concentrates to a cheap kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I am thinking using Alexanders reisling grape concentrate in a wine. I have two options I am considering.

1. Getting two cans and add three cans of white grape and peach frozen concentrate Cost about $55

2. Buying a Vino Italiano Reisling kit and add one can of Alexanders. Cost about $65

On the other hand, I could get a wineexpert riesling kit for about 75 bucks.

Anyone have an experience with something like these options.

I would use the concentrate on there own for making wine and the kit on its own for wine. Adding concentrate to wine kits only add sugar, it will definitely put the kit out of balance as far as acid is concerned. don't mix apples and oranges.

Make wine form the concentrate or the kit separately.

I think it depends on what you're trying to do. If you are trying to make a reliable wine to drink, I would just put the money into the best kit you can buy and go from there. Otherwise, you could end up with something not quite to your liking. If you're looking to experiment and play around, then you can feel free to get creative. Adding concentrate to a cheap kit would run the risk of throwing off the wine off balance, and you'll likely make the wine higher in alcohol than was intended.

What you have said makes sense. I have had a great experience with Alexanders and jam. I am going to try Alexanders Riesling and frozen white grape and peach some day.

I have found these kits need sugar from some source to get to sg 1.10. I used the Alex Conc instead of sugar. If you read the can you will find the conc. is lacking in acid. I had no acidity or ph issues. The conc. simply bumps up the fullness and flavor vs sugar which only adds alcohol. I have done 5 kits this way and all are good drinkers. The Red zin is especially nice.

The perfect kit SG is 1.090 to 1.095 per everything I have ever read. No need to take it any higher that that.

Seems to me that for the price of the kit plus the price of the concentrate one could buy a better kit to start with:?

But if one wants to experiment, that's another can of worms:sm

Latest posts

Back