k-meta additoin without meters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I have several red wine kits I have made in the last few weeks that I have stabilized per the instructions. I am planning to rack the first one again soon and plan to add 1/4 tsp k-meta.

I hope to get a ph and so2 meter over the summer so k-meta addition is not guesswork, but for now am trying to decide how to do the addition

I plan to age all the wines at least 6 months before bottling.

Is there any advantage to adding multiple amounts of k-meta?, like 1/4 tsp now, 1/4 in 3 months, etc and by fall I should be able to confirm the levels.

Or is there any issue with adding 1/2tsp now? Is it better to add small amounts over time or all at once?

I use the all-in-one pump to vacuum rack 3 times to clear c02, and then rack at about 1 month and 3 months, and probably not again to 6 months.

Thanks, Pat

I think 1/8 tsp is actually what is recommended for 5 or 6 gallon batches every 3 months. But one of the experts will be along shortly.

I did about a half dozen test (with an A/O rig) a couple of years ago with wines that did not have ANY time in a barrel, i.e. their bulk aging life was spent only in a glass carboy (topped up). Up to 6 months the supplied package of SO2 was plenty for a red wine, white wine needed a small adjustment (1/8 tsp) at 6 months.YMMV

Thanks for the information. I think a couple white wine kits I made said to add 1/4 tsp if you were not planning to drink them for 6 months or more. so perhaps that was a 1/4 tsp one time.

From the time the wine reaches FG, I will add 1/4 tsp k-meta to 5-6 gallons every +/- 90 days. No barrels in use, just carboys, aging for a year minimum before bottling. Checked about a dozen batches that were aging or ready for bottling (with a borrowed test kit) and my free SO2 levels were just fine according to info I was given. So I stick with what I have been doing. I may break down and get free SO2 testing tools, one day.

Latest posts

Back