Hello From Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_Scott

Junior
Reaction score
I just discovered this forum a day or so ago and have been quite impressed with it! Great job to the developer and moderators - and of course to those who participate regularly. I see Luc is here - his blog is a favorite of mine, and I've learned quite a few things and got some new ideas from it. So I'm looking forward to reading more of what he has written here, too.

I've been making wine for years - I had wanted to try it for a long time and then got hooked when a friend bought me a winemaking kit and equipment. I had so much fun with it, I was hooked right away and from the kits, I went onto learning about making "country" wines and meads. Presently, I have about 50 gallons fermenting or bulk aging and a basement not big enough to hold what's been bottled.

One of the more "interesting" wines I've made is a garlic wine - great for cooking with!

I'm looking forward to sharing what I know and learning more as well.

Ian welcome to this group. :b
What kind of "country wines" do you make?

Always a comedian ! Guess you are right Ehh?

Yes, Canadian "country" wines as in wines made from Canadian fruit like blueberry, blackcurrant, mullberry, (and vegetables too! - parsnip and garlic).

I've often seen non-grape wines referred to as "country" wines - that's what I meant by that term. At the moment, I'm trying a potato wine.

Thanks for the welcome, Tom!

Welcome to a great site. There are alot of folks here who make fruit wines so if any questions ask away. You might want to search your topic first since there are so many threads on here.
Steve

Ian, I also make fruit wines like apple,peach,strawberry, blueberry and fruit blends.
We also ahve a "RECIPE" section that you can look thru.
BUTT, tell me more on this Potato wine you are making. Have you tasted any yet?

Welcome Ian, Ive read some of your posts and it looks like youve learned your stuff about wine making. Keep up the great work here! I always have Black Currant in my cellar and making my 2nd batch of Mullberry soon, about another 3-4 weeks till they are ready around here!

Ian, I also make fruit wines like apple,peach,strawberry, blueberry and fruit blends.
We also ahve a "RECIPE" section that you can look thru.
BUTT, tell me more on this Potato wine you are making. Have you tasted any yet?

Thanks, Tom. I noticed the recipe section here, and I'm sure I will have some anxiety trying to decide which ones to try first! There's only so much room :).

I have not tasted the potato wine yet - but I have smelled it. I am going to take a look at it this weekend - possibly rack it - and I'll have a little on my tongue. I'll let you know!

It's supposed to be a wine that's not so great at first - takes a year and more to come into its own.

Welcome Ian, Ive read some of your posts and it looks like youve learned your stuff about wine making. Keep up the great work here! I always have Black Currant in my cellar and making my 2nd batch of Mullberry soon, about another 3-4 weeks till they are ready around here!

Thanks, Wade!

I love Black Currant wine. I never make enough of it! This year, I'm planning on making at least ten gallons.

Thanks, Tom. I noticed the recipe section here, and I'm sure I will have some anxiety trying to decide which ones to try first! There's only so much room :).

I have not tasted the potato wine yet - but I have smelled it. I am going to take a look at it this weekend - possibly rack it - and I'll have a little on my tongue. I'll let you know!

It's supposed to be a wine that's not so great at first - takes a year and more to come into its own.

yea gotta show the recipe and let us know how it comes out.

yea gotta show the recipe and let us know how it comes out.

Sure Tom - I've posted it here. I'll tell you what though - boiling all those potatoes was fun! I used three good size pots on the stove, all at once. Not sure if I posted a pic of that.

I ended up with quite a number of pounds of sliced potatoes, which I put in the freezer - good thing I'm from Northern Ireland originally and never run out of things to do with potatoes! :) Ulster fry for many breakfasts here!

Last edited:
Hi Ian, welcome amongst us!:D
Boozehag made some potato wine, haven't heard much about it in a couple weeks, maybe she and you could share notes.
I might like to try it myself, but am smart enough to wait for you guys/gals to try it first and report back.
Troy
:b

I would be interested in what it would taste like. Any one here ever tasted this? :b

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. Look forward to reading your posts. :b

Latest posts

Back