Yeast for Concord Pyment...?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewgrrrl

Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite melomel/pyment yeast you would recommend for use with a Concord Pyment? I have Lalvin 1116 and Lalvin 1118 on hand or I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to end up with a semi-sweet to sweet wine with a definite (but not overpowering) concord flavor.

Thanks!

I'll be using either D47 or most likely 71B on mine and I'll back sweeten a bit if necessary. Also plan on using wildflower honey. Another trip to pick up a couple of gallons of honey will be in order very soon.
VC

Hmmm. What qualities do you like about the D47 and the 71B for this wine?

Also, I should mention that I live in Michigan and it's getting pretty cold already. I'm not sure if the 71B would do well in my basement right now.

Both are geared toward lower alcohol % blush type wines (14% vs 18%). I am going to shoot for 15% or so and see how much I'll need to back sweeten. We have noticed that its starting to get cooler up north. Not a problem in the Sunshine State, our temps have been setting record highs with lots of sun
smiley4.gif
VC

Yeah yeah, rub it in. We have pretty fall leaves and our bugs and spiders are MUCH smaller and less scary (something I've been appreciating as I've been harvesting more of my own fruit for wine).

Thanks for the tips! I've never made this before but the must smells delicious! I'm hoping I can preserve the Concord "nose" and flavor in the final wine. Good luck with your batches as well.

I am waiting until we start getting some concord grapes down here so I can add them to the secondary. The trip for honey will need to happen soon so I can be ready when they arrive.
VC

Latest posts

Back