RJ Spagnols 1st Kit Made!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Junior
Reaction score
Well, I started with a simple Orachard Breezin' Strawberry Riesling to get the hang of kit making and things went very well. My brewing knowledge served me well and I was VERY attentive to the instructions and of course sanitization. It called for a specific gravity between 1.050 and 1.060 and I hit 1.057 so I was pleased. I considered dropping a pound of boiled sugar to bump the ABV but alas, being my first kit, why not just do it "by the book" right? It is currently in an upstairs closet with an ambient temp of 68-72 degrees. That said, and taking the high quality advice given by you guys on this board, Ive planned out my 2012 kits for the year.

Jan - Orchard Breezin' Strawberry Riesling
Mar - Cru Select Viognier
May - Cellar Classic Winery Series Chilean Malbec
Jul - Orchard Breezin' Blueberry Shiraz
Sep - Cellar Classic Winery Series California Old Vine Zinfandel
Nov - En Primeur Sauvignon Blanc

2 Mist kits for Momma 1 red, 1 white
4 Premium kits 2 red, 2 white

-I figure that starting with a Mist kit is a great easy start, hitting a white Cru Select without grape skins is a level up in practice, hitting another Mist to have for summer's end gives me a touch more experience, hitting a Cru Select with grape skins steps it up a notch, then another with skins, and then finish with the En Primeur when Ive had enough experience to feel comfortable not messing up a $150 dollar kit. Im excited, let the wining begin!

Last edited:
Congratulations on making your first kit. :br You were probably wise in not bumping the ABV since it's your first kit. Get a little experience under your belt. It won't last that long anyway.
If I were doing it, I would move the Old Vine Zin up to the next one to make since it takes longer for that one to come around. Just my opinion! Good Luck!!

One thing to consider is that the last reds you are to make will take much longer to become ready to drink, so you might consider making them right away, so they can be aging.

Good point. I think Im going to replace the Grenache with the Cellar Winery Series Chilean Malbec and push it up to #3 on the list.

Yesterday marked 1 week since pitching. I did decide to add half of the F-Pack in the primary but I waited a few days until I had a vigorous fermentation going. Yesterday, I pulled a sample to test the gravity and it was down to 1.017. (Not sure how many gravity points I added by putting some of the F-Pack in) It was rather cloudy, which I expected as its still fermenting, but it tasted really nice. The strawberry from the F-Pack came through as a note which was quite pleasant. Im happy with things so far. Hopefully next Weds the gravity will be down where it supposed to be and I can move on with clarifying.

F Pak

Yesterday marked 1 week since pitching. I did decide to add half of the F-Pack in the primary but I waited a few days until I had a vigorous fermentation going. Yesterday, I pulled a sample to test the gravity and it was down to 1.017. (Not sure how many gravity points I added by putting some of the F-Pack in) It was rather cloudy, which I expected as its still fermenting, but it tasted really nice. The strawberry from the F-Pack came through as a note which was quite pleasant. Im happy with things so far. Hopefully next Weds the gravity will be down where it supposed to be and I can move on with clarifying.

By putting half the F pak in the primary, you will end up with a dryer less fruity wine. In other words the strawberry flavor will be reduced as will the residual sugar.

By putting half the F pak in the primary, you will end up with a dryer less fruity wine. In other words the strawberry flavor will be reduced as will the residual sugar.

'Twas my intention. :try I loathe sweet wine. Depending on how sweet this one turns out with half the F-Pack to backsweeten, I may use then whole thing next time.

...checked the gravity this am and its at 0.997! It was as dry as a popcorn fart! :)
Heres to hoping that 3/8 of an F Pack doesnt back sweeten it too much.

If you loathe sweet wine, I think 3/8 of the f-pac for back sweetening is still going to be pretty sweet. However, these mist kits are designed to be relatively sweet.

If you loathe sweet wine, I think 3/8 of the f-pac for back sweetening is still going to be pretty sweet. However, these mist kits are designed to be relatively sweet.

Yeah, I know. This one is for Momma and she enjoys a sweeter wine now and again. Its not necessarily that I dont enjoy one on occaision, but 1 glass is all I need.

Last edited:
Very happy! The wine isn't my favorite simply based on the style of it, but it turned out wonderfully. Incredibly clear, tasty and no off flavors. I'll give it another 2 weeks to bulk age and bottle this sucker up. Now to move on to a higher quality kit.

Congratulation on finishing your first wine. :br You'll feel even better after you bottle it and put a nice label on it. :pic

F-Pac

Quick question about the F-PAC. I have an OB BlackBerry Merlot that has been fermenting for a few days. My wife likes it fine following the instructions but I found it to be ridiculously sweet last time we had it. Is there any harm in adding half the F-PAC during the fermentation? I have heard from some threads that the F-PAC can contain sorbate which will halt or hinder fermentation.

Thanks!
Matt

Lots of people add half the F-pack to the primary fermenter before pitching the yeast or once the ferment is going strongly. However, it does contain sorbate, and I am unsure how it will respond when added to a batch "that has been fermenting for a few days". It shouldn't contain enough sorbate to halt/hinder the fermentation.

Is the ferment active? If yes, then it will probably continue. Has it died down? If so, then it may not start again. How's the temperature? That may have an effect.

I'm just trying to think thru what might happen. Not having tried it, I have no idea.

Steve

Quick question about the F-PAC. I have an OB BlackBerry Merlot that has been fermenting for a few days. My wife likes it fine following the instructions but I found it to be ridiculously sweet last time we had it. Is there any harm in adding half the F-PAC during the fermentation? I have heard from some threads that the F-PAC can contain sorbate which will halt or hinder fermentation.

Thanks!
Matt

That is what I just did with this Strawberry Riesling. I added just over half of the pack 2 days after the primary fermentation began. Turned out really nice and cut back the sweetness. Im quite happy with the results.

That is what I just did with this Strawberry Riesling. I added just over half of the pack 2 days after the primary fermentation began. Turned out really nice and cut back the sweetness. Im quite happy with the results.

Well, I think I'll give this a go tonight and add half the f-pac.

Thanks guys.

I added it 2 days into the fermentation and it fermented down to .097. Quite Dry. I did leave it for 3 weeks rather than the 2 weeks recommended by the manufacturer. In fact, I have currently allowed it to clear for 3 weeks rather than the 2 weeks the manufacturer suggests. In brewing, I always err on the side of letting the batch together longer than most people.

Back