Best yeast to retain white grape flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoman

Junior
Reaction score
I have completed three high quality white wine kits. Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and most recently Sauvignon Blanc. All three used lalvin EC-1118 and the SB also used K1-V1116. All of the fermentations were completed within 5-7 days in very warm temps at or above 75 and smelled great. But when the wine was completed and bottled it almost smells over cooked, chemical and there is not much detectable grape flavor.

My question is would these wines retain more grape flavor if the fermentations were slower, at lower temps over a longer time? Any other suggestions to improve the fruit forward taste?

Try it after 6 months or so in the bottle. Bet it improves with age. Other than that, I agree with the others, cooler temps during ferment and a less agressive yeast. Arne.

Take a look at the Wine Yeast Pairing guide for some ideas:

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

This describes the flavor pretty well, lots of pineapple notes.

ICV-D47: Complex white with citrus, dried apricot, pineapple and oral notes. Lees contact gives ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus tones developing, along with nuts. Adds volume/mouthfeel. Barrel fermentation and lees aging recommended. Good single-strain or as a blending component.

Reply to posts

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will cool it down and experiment with a new yeast. Thanks again

Could you clear out some space in your basement? I know there is at least a 10 degree temperature differential between the rest of the house and basement where I live. But there is also no insulation at all in the basement :/

Latest posts

Back