RJ Spagnols Rosso Grande Eccellente

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Getting the EP WS Rosso Grande Eccellente in the next week or so. Never heard of this kit before, so I guess it might be new. Anyone else started this kit? I'll keep everyone updated.

Cheers!

This kit has been available for a few years. Wine made from this kit has taken several medals in the annual Wine Maker Magazine competition, the most recent being a 2016 silver medal in the Other Red Vinifera Blends category.

Enjoy your wine making with this kit. I'm sure that you'll be pleased with the result.

We made this back in July of 2015. We've recently started to open the occasional bottle. It's already decent at this point, with some age it should be Grande Eccellente.

Very nice kit that I have made more than once. Last weekend I bottled one that was aged in the carboy for 1 year. Quite drinkable at this point with just a bit of tartness. Another year in the bottle and it will be Eccellente!

cheers

Started this kit yesterday. It came with 60g of oak powder, and a pack of medium toast oak chips. Also, 2 nice big packs of grape skins. I poured the grapeskins directly into the fermentor, and skipped the muslin bag. I am only going to use the supplied bentonite, and no other chemicals (except sulphite every 3 months.) Planning to bulk age at least a year. Used BM4X4 yeast, and starting S.G. was 1.095. Will keep you all updated!

Last edited:
Just transferred to carboy today. Currently sitting at 1.020 after 8 days (my basement is only about 18 degrees C). I put a large funnel in the opening of my carboy, lined the funnel with cheese cloth and just poured the contents of the pail into the funnel. Cheese cloth trapped all of the oak, grapeskins etc. without making a mess.

Just started drinking mine at 2 years.

Thought the Super Tuscan Winery Series was the best kit I made, now I'm debating.

Have a ST that will be 2 years in Sept, I'm going to put them head to head in some taste tests and see what others think.

This GE will go into my normal cycle now.

Back