WineXpert LE Vermentino

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this helps you any but I just pitched QA23. PH was 3.6 and SG was 1.091 @ 70F. My pH meter only reads to one decimal place but was just calibrated with 4.00 buffer solution.

Thanks, mine was ~3.54 at first.
If you take another reading after degassing and stabilizing let me know.
Mine showed ~3.57 which I found very odd and the wine tastes flat.

What are these "bottled" in? How long can you age/store them in these?
Never mind, read the prior posts. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, you have convinced me to use QA-23.
What fermentation temperature?
Any other variations to the instructions?

My kit is happily fermenting along at 63 ambient and 67 must. No matter the strain of yeast, I try to pitch around 72.

So far, I've been controlling the heat at 74. I read a lot about fermenting whites cooler.

That is a good temp range. How do you like QA23 so far?

I like it so far, really low foaming. This is only my third batch using it, but I have had some H2S form about half way through fermentation.

I like it so far, really low foaming. This is only my third batch using it, but I have had some H2S form about half way through fermentation.

Yup, I had mentioned this earlier. You need to have some nutrients at hand. I love how silent this yeast works with such a low foaming process... A1 for me.

Finally got the batch started today.
Pitched the QA-23 at 72. I'll give it a day, then drop the controller temperature to 65.
Ambient is 55 (basement).

Ok, I broke down and bought a Milwaukee MW101 and just checked the pH. 3.48 which isn't too far off from your reading. It's could still change slightly since the I'm only half way through clearing (top 2/3 is clear) but mostly degassed.

Here's my last note for this wine:

Jan 29 0.994 racked into bucket, degassed and stabilized, skipped sorbate.

PH ~3.57
temp=73F

Racked into 6gal plastic carboy and topped with .750ml of Chardonnay

We'll see how my 2nd batch ends when I start it in a near future, but it seems like this kit is ending higher than any white kit made before....:ft

Kicked mine off Saturday with QA23. Smelling rather generic so far, though I didn't taste the juice.

Wow! 1.080 on Saturday, and down to 1.030 today. She's cooking along.

Latest posts

Back