Removing Glue from the outside of bottles!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my bottles in a glass vase. I fill the inside of the bottle with hot water. Then I put two squirts of dish soap on the outside. Fill the vase with hot water. I let it sit for 2-3 hours. Then scrap the label with a razor blade. It's important to scrap from side to side not top to bottom. The labels come right off. A little wash off with a scrubber sponge with some some soap and hot water and the bottle is good to go. The key is scrapping from side to side. Top to bottom is when the glue becomes a pain in the neck.

Chris

As impatient as I am, I just take a meat cleaver (well, sort of) and scrub the labels in the sink under slow-running hot water, then finish off with a wire brush. If the glue is particularly stubborn due to its chemical nature, I find that 99% of the time either memeber of my chemical trio (kerosene, acetone, and rubbing alcohol) would leave no sign of the label or glue, with kerosene being the most useful in this task. This, of course, applies to scraping off commercial silicone-glued wine labels.

For my own labels I use glue stick :h It holds just like any other when dry, but when it comes to removing the labels, I need nothing more than a bit of lukewarm water and my hand for its' virtually instant removal.

Desolvit works if you can find it. Not quite as good as goo gone but smells better and is a lot safer.

There are as many different label papers and adhesives as there are wines. So to accommodate them all I razor scrape the label off then 0 or 00 steel wool soaked in goo-gone. Wash off with soapy water, rinse with hot and rack 'em to dry. Oh and that most important other ingredient ,,,, elbow grease. If you're willing to give your wine time to get right, cleaning a few bottles is the blink of the eye

The labels that come off in water are easy, just soak them, but MOST sticky labels come off quite easily if you fill the bottle with just boiled water. Don't wet the labels! The labels then usually just peel off. Any sticky residue comes off using eucalyptus oil. Oil comes off in warm soapy water.

I saw bottles available down here (Australia) for $15.00. Each. EACH! I prefer to peel - I can't afford not to :h

Latest posts

Back