Hello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Junior
Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi;

This is my first time making wine and always wanted to, just have not taken the plunge until now.

I am chemist by trade and live on a farm with 40 acres of concord grapes and decided to give it a try. I'm learning as I go, but still have a lot to learn.

Like: I just racked my wine for the first time. The lees were thick on the bottom of the jug I'm using and fermentation had slowed to hardly any, so now what do I do? After searching the web, adding Camden tablets was a recommendation, but fermentation is still going. Should I do this or let fermentation continue?

How long should I let fermentation go this time before I rack again?

I'm having fun with this (wife not so much), but any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Greg Papierz

Welcome to WMT. Once your sg reading stabilizes to the same reading for about 3-4 days you'll be good to rack and add some k-meta. Ensure you are have an airlock on your carboy and no head space at that time.

Welcome to winemakingtalk, Greg!

Dan (Runningwolf) mentioned monitoring your specific gravity (SG). I could not tell from your initial post: Do you have a hydrometer and have you been measuring the SG? Your wine should get down below 1.000, probably to 0.992 to 0.996 or so, before it is finished.

As a chemist, you should know...testing, testing, testing...

The basics, first ferment until SG is less than 1.020 -1.010, transfer off the thicker sludge (called lees) so that the dead yeast and rotting fruit do not add bad flavors to the wine.

After that, come back and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies.

I tested the sg and it was 1.000. I still fermentation going (quite quickly still I might add) so should I let it go or add some kind of preservative? Also, I lost about a gallon racking so had to add a local winery's concord wine to minimize the head space.

Best Regards,

Greg

Thanks for the replies.

I tested the sg and it was 1.000. I still fermentation going (quite quickly still I might add) so should I let it go or add some kind of preservative? Also, I lost about a gallon racking so had to add a local winery's concord wine to minimize the head space.

Let it go. First of all, there is no rush -- almost never is in winemaking! Second, it is still fermenting. It will probably slowly get down to 0.992 to 0.994 or so. If you get the same reading (in that range) for a few days, then you can call it done and move on.

Did you add sweet wine? If so, that sugar is going to ferment too. Welcome. Lots of help here. They have certainly given me a lot.

Mary Lou

Thanks for all the help folks. The wine I added was a Concord from a local winery that is sweet. Actually, it's very good. Taste's like grapes right off the vine. I'll let it go a few days and check the sg again. Have another question: There are still grapes on the vine in the vineyard that have been frosted a couple of times. Can I still use these for wine making?

Greg

Welcome Pappy! Understanding the process and having a goal in mind will guide you to a treat for YOUR tastebuds.. You're at the right place for tips, tricks, and just about the bestest information/help you could ask for. And that's all you have to do ,,,,,,, ask!

Thanks for all the help folks. The wine I added was a Concord from a local winery that is sweet. Actually, it's very good. Taste's like grapes right off the vine. I'll let it go a few days and check the sg again. Have another question: There are still grapes on the vine in the vineyard that have been frosted a couple of times. Can I still use these for wine making?

Greg

A commercial sweet wine probably contained Sorbate to prevent re-fermentation, you did not really want to introduce that at this point, as it may inhibit your existing yeast from replicating (it will not kill or stop living yeast) - probably not a problem, your existing yeast will most likely finish your ferment with no problem - but you should not add anything containing Sorbate until much later in the process [after clear & stable, but before adding sugar to sweeten (if you desire a sweet wine)]. You do not really need to top off until fermentation has stopped & you are in the aging stage. CO2 will be released from suspension for a good while, so that is not a true indication of where you are in fermentation - use your SG readings.

Yes, you can use grapes that have been frosted (may even have higher sugar content), you may be headed down the ice-wine path !

Back