Larger Size Wine Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While eating dinner at a local restaurant, I noticed some large wine bottles they had on display. These seem to be the same shape as your typical bordeaux bottle, only larger (perhaps a 6 liter capacity).

Ok, so my questions: 1) Would long term storage of wine in such a bottle have any negative effects on wine? and 2) does anybody know where I might be able to purchase similar sized bottels (empty and clean of course).

I've seen them on ebay, but it's generally for a high price as they look more to be sold as collectibles. I'm guessing it's the magnum size you're referring to?

2167000035_6f267911b9.jpg

Last edited:
Magnum size is pretty standard and i 1500ml and sold everywhere, I know the size you are talking of and have never seen them for sale anywhere but I really have never looked.

That's right Wade. I have been told that soaking the chamfered cork for a while and using a wood mallet may work. If not, I'll just keep an airlock on it.

Latest posts

Back