Specific Gravity Calculation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
If I have my must at 1.085, but the volume is a little less than I need to maintain a good 5 gallons due to fruit displacement. What is the ratio or amounts of water to sugar to add to my must to still maintain the 1.085 s.g. then add my yeast?

I'm using Wade's Blackberry recipe and added 8 pounds of sugar (not 10 1/2 as recipe called for) and a little less water because I believe I may have a little undisolved sugar that will raise my s.g. overnight. I left a little room so I can make adjustments prior to adding my yeast starter.

Just trying to be as precise as possible.

If I have my must at 1.085, but the volume is a little less than I need to maintain a good 5 gallons due to fruit displacement. What is the ratio or amounts of water to sugar to add to my must to still maintain the 1.085 s.g. then add my yeast?

I'm using Wade's Blackberry recipe and added 8 pounds of sugar (not 10 1/2 as recipe called for) and a little less water because I believe I may have a little undisolved sugar that will raise my s.g. overnight. I left a little room so I can make adjustments prior to adding my yeast starter.

Just trying to be as precise as possible.

Split it in TWO fermenting buckets in TWO straining bags. Treat as 2 batches. So. 3 gallons water in each bucket and you are OK

I dont do ratios and you are correct in doing what you are doing with the sugar and not following any recipe as sugars and acids will always be different. Do as Tom says and divide into 2 buckets. Blackberry wine though I usually go up to 1.095 as it will hide a higher abv unlike many other fruit wines.

Okay I didn't make my question clear. Right now I have 2 buckets filled almost halfway with everything but yeast. S.G. is 1.085

Assuming the S.G. doesn't rise over the next few hours I would like to add a little more water/sugar so I will have 5+ gallons after fermentation.

How much sugar to water will give me a S.G. of 1.085? This way I can add to my must then add yeast. I may have to wing it with a quart of water if no one knows.

Sorry sometimes I'm too technical. I'm just anal.

Okay I didn't make my question clear. Right now I have 2 buckets filled almost halfway with everything but yeast. S.G. is 1.085

Assuming the S.G. doesn't rise over the next few hours I would like to add a little more water/sugar so I will have 5+ gallons after fermentation.

How much sugar to water will give me a S.G. of 1.085? This way I can add to my must then add yeast. I may have to wing it with a quart of water if no one knows.

Sorry sometimes I'm too technical. I'm just anal.

According to http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp there is 1#14oz IN a gal with an SG of 1085

I would just take a gallon of water and start adding sugar, testing along the way :)

Sorry, I dont use ratios like that or a calc. like I said. I do it by eye and taste and am very close all the time.

Latest posts

Back