WineXpert Island Mist Hard Pink Lemonade

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started April 8th, bottled June 4th.

I put the carbonated bottles in the fridge immediately, but I guess it wasn't enough. When bottling, I simply poured from the Sodastream bottle into a funnel in the flip-top bottle. Definitely had some splashing, but I felt like I didn't blow all the CO2 off. Oh well.
Awesome. I'll end up with a similar timeline then.

Was the wine cold when you carbed? Were the flip tops cold when you filled them? Every little bit helps when you know you're going to have some unavoidable losses.

Awesome. I'll end up with a similar timeline then.

Was the wine cold when you carbed? Were the flip tops cold when you filled them? Every little bit helps when you know you're going to have some unavoidable losses.

Neither were cold when I filled.

Neither were cold when I filled.
I've not kegged any beer yet, so haven't done any transfers to bottles, but as mentioned in another thread, I like doing lots of research. Everything I've read says that keeping everything that touches the beer cold helps in retaining carbonation. If you ever feel like trying again and have room to cool everything down, I think you'd have better results.

I had this great idea of picking up a Growler from out local beer coop in town and bringing it home and immediately transferring the contents into 3-4 Grolsch flip top bottles (new ones no less) and then I figured I would have fresh beer for weeks........

Tried it like 3 different times and even though I had CO2 out the wazzoo when filling the bottles even after only a day or two there was almost no CO2 left in any of the beers. The flip tops just would not hold the CO2 in for some reason.

I picked up a different Growler from the store and beer stays fresh and carbonated for a week even after removing one beer at a time and screwing the top on and placing back into the fridge.

Recycled the Grolsch's....... LOL

I put the carbonated bottles in the fridge immediately, but I guess it wasn't enough. When bottling, I simply poured from the Sodastream bottle into a funnel in the flip-top bottle. Definitely had some splashing, but I felt like I didn't blow all the CO2 off. Oh well.

I've had bottled conditioned stout in Grolsch bottles for 2+ years and they held carbonation just fine. I think you might have lost most of the CO2 during the transfer and not through any fault of the flip tops.

It's quite a different process just pulling a pint off the top vs. transferring to a bottle. You should see some of the bottle filling setups to transfer from keg to bottle for longer term storage. Search for the Blichmann beer gun. If I had to bet, I'd say those Grolsch bottles were just fine. That screw top growler would lose carbonation well before a properly carbed Grolsch bottle.

Well, after 9 days I decided to stabilize.

Since I know the process by memory I added meta, sorbate and degassed. Then added f-pack and finally chitosan.

Decided to look at the instructions and this kit says to add f-pack AFTER the wine is clear, not at the stabilization step 3.

Something different with this kit? You guys caught that and follow its instructions or did it the typical way?

Oh well.

Did you actually read the instructions this time? :)

No (I'm not that smart). But I recalled another sweet wine I'd done where I added the f-pack and part of it settled with the sediment. When I racked, I felt like I lost some of the sweetness. In that case, I had some left and just added it, but I remember thinking I'll continue to do them that way.

And it makes sense if you think about it, as long as adding the f-pack after clearing won't make it cloudy.

I wonder when they changed the instructions....:ft

If memory serves, the instructions are specific to the lemonade kits. The Winexpert kit lists separate instructions for the Hard Pink Lemonade and Hard Limeade kits. I imagine it was the same for the BB lemonade too.

*Note: My memory is terrible so I went to the website.

No (I'm not that smart). But I recalled another sweet wine I'd done where I added the f-pack and part of it settled with the sediment. When I racked, I felt like I lost some of the sweetness. In that case, I had some left and just added it, but I remember thinking I'll continue to do them that way.

Adding the f-pack after wine was clear, did the wine get a bit cloudy or not at all?

Adding the f-pack after wine was clear, did the wine get a bit cloudy or not at all?

Not really.

BTW: my wife's cousin and her family are in town and came by for dinner last night. She likes the sweet stuff. I offered her this and she loved it. With the bumped up ABV, she was feeling no pain when they left. :i

Was just checking the clearing process of the BB and just because I checked pH, it is in the 2.8x range.

Also, this wine has a really odd odor and hoping it changes after a few weeks in bulk aging.

Ok, so I delayed picking up the kit, and haven't made it yet. I'm wondering if it will keep until next year, bottled, if I make it later this summer. I feel I missed this year's opportunity and wonder if it will age well.

Ok, so I delayed picking up the kit, and haven't made it yet. I'm wondering if it will keep until next year, bottled, if I make it later this summer. I feel I missed this year's opportunity and wonder if it will age well.

1-2 years, should come easily.

Racked my BB lemonade after clearing.

Nice light pink, not overly sweet since I added maybe about 1/3 of the f-pack up front.
This will be a winner for summer.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1498410296.349521.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1498410423.979015.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1498410469.303440.jpg

The pic in the bottle is a bit foggy after I took it out of the fridge but the wine is clear as it can get. I used a filter when I racked.

Labelpeelers now has the Pink Lemonade kits on clearance. Must have found some in the back of the warehouse.

Latest posts

Back