Fpac storage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrad701

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm getting ready to make an Fpac for my plum and was wondering if the fpac can be stored until ready to use or do I have to use it right away? If it can be stored am I supposed to freeze it?

depends how long till you will use it. Did you start the wine yet? I add mine after adding the k-meta and sorbate and transferred out of the secondary. After adding the f-pac add clearing agents.

I plan to use it next weekend. I just transferred from secondary about 3 weeks ago. I added kmeta and sorbate then. I plan on racking next weekend and thought that would be a good time to add fpac.

Why wait? Do it now. No reason to wait another week. Once you add the f-pac add the clearing agent.

Thanks Tom. That's the problem. My HBS was closed for inventory today and couldn't get any clearing agent but bought the plums to make fpac. May take a chance and see if the plums will last a few more days.

Make the fpac now and store it in the fridge..Once the sugar syrup is in there.. it'll last.you've already stabilised the wine.. add the finings later.. it'll be fine

Allie

i cant imagine it would hurt to freeze it either if someone needed to keep it for a while
could end up a little watered down which i dont think is a huge problem just adding some more flavor to it would fix that

And WHO say you can't add clearing agents later. I usually wait a few days to a week before I add my Isinglass or SuperKleer.

You can bottle syrups for later use too Nubz.. I do with citrus..

.. bottle boiled syrups and seal (use within 6 months) .. or can ( preserve in jars) them and waterbath them for use up to 18 months.

It's a little more effort.. but saves on freezer space.. and drying fruits is ok for pies and stuff.. I just find that dried fruit leaves odd flavours if you use them for wines.

Allie

And WHO say you can't add clearing agents later. I usually wait a few days to a week before I add my Isinglass or SuperKleer.

I often leave my wines to clear naturally..with no added finings at all.

Allie

Bottom line is it dont matter ... either way will work fine. Add some pectic enzyme to the f-pac to prevent haze.

Latest posts

Back