What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, thanks, printed it out, will let you know, maybe sunday night dinner with fresh tortillas?
BTW one of my favorite things to do when reading a new recipe is to go to the comments. Love this type and there are usually a lot of them,

"I added half the butter, used milk not cream, thought a teaspoon of salt was too much, substituted blah blah blah... and have to say it was just ok, not a great recipe.....":slp

If you google this recipe there are a couple others that pop up and have close to 5 Star reviews. I am already picking through them to see which one sounds like the best of the bunch. This recipe screams butter to sweat the veggies and cream to thicken!

Leftover baked lima beans with olives and garlic slivers (EVOO, olive brine); roasted fennel (EVOO, tarragon, fennel seeds); baked seafood rice with lots of butter (from the Paul Prudhomme cookbook, but inspired by @Boatboy24 's recent recipe); and Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Shrimp Diane. It was all pretty good, but the Shrimp Diane was awesome -- worthy of a fine restaurant, if I can remember back that far! :)
63418096425__F6277987-752F-4BB9-B40E-AE388A602418.JPG63418108946__8A3499DE-C366-442E-B62F-45E2291F40B3.JPG

Leftover baked lima beans with olives and garlic slivers (EVOO, olive brine); roasted fennel (EVOO, tarragon, fennel seeds); baked seafood rice with lots of butter (from the Paul Prudhomme cookbook, but inspired by @Boatboy24 's recent recipe); and Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Shrimp Diane. It was all pretty good, but the Shrimp Diane was awesome -- worthy of a fine restaurant, if I can remember back that far! :)
View attachment 71300View attachment 71301

Holy cow...!!! :r:b

Has anyone cooked a brisket inside using an oven 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Maybe not worth the time knowing there’s not going to be good bark and
Flavor?

Lots of northern restaurants will oven cook since the market didn't grow up with lots of outside BBQ, and then they slobber something called barbecue sauce made with liquid smoke on it as if it is real, ,,, yes it can have flavor, hickory smoke is made out of hickory.
Flavor?

Cherry soup? I'm curious. Do you have a recipe?
Soup portion:
four cans of water pack tart cherries (mom/ grandma used 4 pints of pitted cherries off a tree)
four additional cans 14 oz of water (pints)
3/4 cup sugar (mom would use a cup and make it sweeter)
one teaspoon of cinnamon (mom used one or two cinnamon sticks)
. . . heat the mixture to a simmer and hold

Dumplings (these are an eclair dough):
one cup water
one stick of butter (1/4 pound) (mom also put a pinch of salt in everything)
. . . heat these three ingredients to a boil, remove from heat and add
one cup flour
. . . quickly mix in till smooth then add
four eggs with mixing as each is added
. . . with a teaspoon portion out dumplings into the simmering soup
. . . turn off heat, cover and let the dumplings “cook“ for half an hour

Serve
In summer I like it served cold.
The taste is like cherry pie, as a kid I would skip the grilled cheese and just eat soup till I was sick.

If you put it in the oven without any seasonings/rub then it won't have flavor. But you would never do that right???????
the restaurants up here sell a product which is significantly different from what I would find in the Texas hill country. Looking at the products Sysco food servicehas available, I wouldn’t be surprised if the northern standard is to buy a precooked version.
View attachment 70318
Its probably good I put some hickory away last fall.
View attachment 70319
why of course the grill has been used, but I didn’t dig out to the smoker,,, yet

Well, you only live once. Decided to go all out for dinner after the DW's retirement decision detailed elsewhere.

I bought a HUGE lobster tail. I don't have deets, but I assume it was a warm-water tail. The tail itself weighed two lbs! The pix below include some random objects to set the scale.

The dinner was pretty awesome. Mushroom risotto with seafood stock; leftover roasted cauliflower; Italian broad green beans braised with tomatoes and onions. I cooked the lobster sous vide to 140F, then cut it into medallions and put it in a sauce of onions, garlic, parsley, seafood stock, sautéed mushrooms, sherry, and cream. Washed down with some ho-made (kit) Chardonnay. PDG!

I apologize for the many pix.

IMG_1465.JPGIMG_1468.JPGIMG_1470.JPGIMG_1472.JPGIMG_1473.JPG

If you put it in the oven without any seasonings/rub then it won't have flavor. But you would never do that right???????

Use liquid smoke for a bit of smoke flavor.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/texas-oven-roasted-beef-brisket-recipe-1915431
Flavor?
Flavor?
Over the winter while my smoker is tucked away till spring and I want brisket I use a Atlantic Brisket recipe. Might not have bark but it’s so tender and has off the wall flavor.

* from a health department rule, 130F would get my hand slapped, :s
* from a historical point of view the aunts used to sneak out of the nursing home to get half a pound of raw beef for cannibal sandwiches, ,,, and I guess I have been at that table too. Trichanosis/ other worms don't have a high incidence in grass fed animals so it actually was low risk in the days before factory meat plants (post process contamination) and factory farms.
* if you really like tender pink meat the answer today is pick up a SousVidie AKA “water oven“ and then low temperature cook to kill pathogens. The cut will be pink when cooked and can be eaten as such, ,,,, however most customers aren’t into blood on the plate so for a hotel/ food service operation it would give a cosmetic searing for seconds, ,,,, if this was in a photo shoot with one steak advertising does this with a propane torch.
I think I’ve reached the lowest acceptable “rare” temp of 120 and will re-set a target of 125-130 for future rib eyes. Still rich and tender

Back