What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday nights post Xmas dinner. Detroit Pizza using my sourdough pizza crust recipe. Pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, red onion, green olives (all below the cheese layer). Baked off at 450F in the Wolf oven. Very good chew on the crust. Not too thick either. Paired very well with a 2015 Ego Bodegas Jumilla Goru 18 M (Monastrell & Cabernet Sauvignon)

View attachment 69831

View attachment 69832

View attachment 69833
The pizza base looks great and the wine sounds stunning

Some new, some leftovers for tonight. Brought out the Ginormous Standing Rib roast from Sunday and made some Herb and Butter Smashed Taters to go with it along with some Broccolini. Added some Blu-cheese at the end as well as some left over sautéed shrooms.....

Nad a bad send off to 2020 I must say!

1609465134827.jpeg

New year, schmoo year. We said 'screw it' and just had appetizers tonight. Obviously, the sushi was not homemade. Mozz sticks were not either, though the sauce was. Steamed shrimp with ho-made cocktail sauce and from scratch cocktail meatballs and sauce (no grape jelly).

1609465242356.jpeg

1609465275132.jpeg

Have to use your imagination on this one - forget to take pictures! Shrimp cocktail and a salad for starters. Pan seared a couple of filet mignons my son got us for Christmas using Alton Brown's pan-seared ribeye recipe, baked tater and steamed broccoli. Steak came out somewhere between raw and rare - a little too close to mooing, but we managed to wolf them down pretty fast. :h

Dungeness crab meat (from back in Oct., but frozen for just such an occasion) on angel hair pasta with lots of garlic, butter, some 'shrooms, tarragon, lemon, white wine, parsley, and grated sharp provolone. Spinach sauteed wtih garlic and EVOO. And roasted baby artichokes topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano and truffle oil. Washed down with a Chateau Ste. Michele WA Chard.IMG_1370.JPGIMG_1373.JPG

Last edited:
Hope everybody was well fed this holiday season...

Here is a summary of what I made..

Christmas eve was just NY strip steak, baked potatoes, string beans, and sauteed mushrooms.

For Christmas it was roasted stuffed turkey, mash, brazed carrots, gravy, string bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and rolls.

For New Year's eve, we hosted dinner for 12 people on our street (calm down, we were all just tested). This was an all out effort. I am thankful that some of the neighbors were willing to bring some of the dishes. Throughout the evening, we sipped wines from the Russian River valley as well as several bottles from my library.

For dessert and after the meal, I opened a bottle of my 2008 port (has won multiple gold medals) that I have been saving.

hors d'oeuvres -
cheese platter,
huge shrimp cocktail (neighbor provided),
hot goat cheese / fruit pouches (neighbor provided)

Soup
Home made cream of mushroom soup

Salad
Mixed greens in a balsamic vinaigrette with pickled beats, candied walnuts, and a warm panko encrusted goat cheese pillow.

Entree
Prime rib au jus with (optional) horse radish cream sauce
Yorkshire pudding
Roasted tomatoes gratin
Roasted brussel sprouts
Hasselback Potatoes (Neighbor Provided)
Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus (Neighbor Provided)
Sauteed portabella mushrooms

Dessert
Home Made chocolate mousse topped with hard chocolate ganache

For New Year's day I made Roast Ham, Mashed potatoes, Roasted Brats, and Hungarian cabbage salad.

My wife took pics. When she gets them to me I will post them.

so I followed Ina Gartens recipe for the shrimp bisque and have to say it's really good. Only a couple of very slight mods, pulled half the shrimp, rough chopped and added back in at the end instead of pureeing all. Her stock recipe was also over peppered so I skipped the pepper in the bisque recipe and it was about perfect. Good enough that I'd make it again and maybe substitute lobster. Oh and, probably the best sourdough so far, soft, airy inside and really crispy but not too thick of a crust outside.shrimpBisque.jpg

What's the Sharpie for?

What did you pair with? I'd be with you, going with a white.

Stone ground masa from a mix of green and yellow corn. First night was fresh made tacos. The second night I used leftover tortillas to make crispy taquitos with beans and vegan cheese. So delicious.

134441888_108452891170361_1320688945936675607_o.jpg

134751695_108452924503691_1135110727310459704_o.jpg

135550572_108629427819374_7450421074335127005_o.jpg

Back