Spiced/Crab Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All!

6 months in! I used the Spiced Crabapple recipe. Looks great..... Tastes great!

I will be tripling up this recipe next season!!

Highly Recommended!!!

Cheers!

DSC_1421.jpg

i haveforquyitesomespell been looking for crab apple recipes, untill lastyearwhen i gotcedarrust i had never usedgrape tannins in my country wines, most of my old recipesare by word of mouth going back mamy,m many years, from old timers, whom used what the land provided, this last year i wasforced to usegrapwe taannings, not as tasty, the old timers instead of calling for tannings called for bitters, hence crab apples, i cut all my crab apples baacj after spraying with an anti fungal for cedar rust, so i hope i'm back iunto this year, i use yellow sargents, they are crrab apple bushes, but when i get more then what i need for my bitters, i am going to try your folks recuipes, and please post all you are willing to this thread, i and subcribeing to this thread, i for one am deeply honored to get my hands on your recipes, every label will carry your handle oor yourfamilt name to show my respect, just PM me with what you want on my labels in honor of your kin, i make 8 or 10 types of wines a year, ans no more the 18 gallons of each, for myself, my brothers and my brothers , brothers in arms, hehe, his brother in arms tell him the love me more,m,, lol, ofcoursewhen they show up at hgis home, i supply allthe wine my off set stick smoker and around 40 lbsof farm fresh meat, but at his house 1/4 mile fr om my home, that way he gets to clean up the house and any dishes,, hhehe, after all what are big brothers for,,, and yep i'm the oldest,,, this year i plan on 3 new wines persimmio n, sasafrass, and crab apple, i've made sasafrass tea for years, thank you so very much for posting your familys old crab apple recipes, thank you,
Richard AKA DAWG

QUOTE=hownowbrowncow;635471]Cheers! Hope you enjoy! I have a few dozen more recipes to post :eek:[/QUOTE]

Just wanna thank you for this post and and book mark it for further use this year; Will be putting our CrabApple trees to good use.

Hi! I'm in the middle of making this wine and every time I stir it, it makes me cough. Very odd, I cannot breathe it in at all. Wondering if anyone else had a similar issue, if it's a campden tablet after effect, or if I just have a brand new allergy.

Thanks for the recipe either way! I hope I can drink it!

Hi! I'm in the middle of making this wine and every time I stir it, it makes me cough. Very odd, I cannot breathe it in at all. Wondering if anyone else had a similar issue, if it's a campden tablet after effect, or if I just have a brand new allergy.
post #1 uses two campden (1.0 gm) in a gallon which seems high, in fruit wines I put the primary at 0.2 gm meta powder per gallon.
SO2 causes a chemical burn in the lungs, avoid breathing it in. The good news is racking can pull it out, and in time it is consumed in the wine, and if you lived in Australia it could be reduced (legally) with peroxide. Gravity racking sanitized carboys is why I bought a vacuum pump, nasty stuff.'
Folks vary on their sensitivity to SO2

post #1 uses two campden (1.0 gm) in a gallon which seems high, in fruit wines I put the primary at 0.2 gm meta powder per gallon.
SO2 causes a chemical burn in the lungs, avoid breathing it in. The good news is racking can pull it out, and in time it is consumed in the wine, and if you lived in Australia it could be reduced (legally) with peroxide. Gravity racking sanitized carboys is why I bought a vacuum pump, nasty stuff.'
Folks vary on their sensitivity to SO2

aah thank you very much for your insight! I feel much better. :)

Back