SOOOO Excited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well folks,

in a few short weeks I turn 50. I have had the WORST luck with birthdays (especially the big ones)..

10th b-day - got slapped by my mother because I wanted to watch cartoons rather than work around the house.

20th b-day - found my mother having seasures. Turned out she had the DTs and was sent to rehab.

30th b-day - not so bad. My wife did trick me into do all of the food and most of the housework for my own surprise party.

40th b-day - stuck in a van somewhere in Hungary. There was room for 6 people, but there were 10 of us. Ended up have a seatbelt buckle crammed up my bum for half a day.

AHHHH, but now I turn 50. My wife is making all of the arrangements to have the party at the Unionville Winery!!! she even booked the actual working area for the party (rather then their "events" hall). She also booked some Amish dudes to handle the BBQ. MAN! I can't wait!

Hope this one is much better than the others. Happy birthday, John!

Happy Birthday JohnT,

sounds like this is gonna be your year. :br

John the fact of the matter is there is an Amish feast BUT thats after the barn raising. Don't forget your gloves, hammer and straw hat. Have a great birthday buddy!

DSCF0885.jpg

Well folks tomorrow is the big day!

Last sunday, me and my borther went down to sample through their wines and choose what was to be served tomorrow. I have to say that these locally produced wines (from local grapes) were fantastic! I had to keep reminding my brother "this wine was made in New Jersey from grapes grown in New Jersey). Very impressive. Not a can of Welches or a single concord grape to be seen :).

MAN, am i looking forward to this!

johnT.

My wife and I will toast your birthday, John. I think a tall cheap glass of iced Skeeter Pee will be perfect! :p

Have a great day John. Sounds like a wonderful time planned. The worst part is you had to wait 50 years to have a decent party! Oh and you will be 50 - half a century!!!!!

Well, The party was last saturday.

Man, what a great time. We had about 40 people and were very well fed by the Amish in attendance. BBQ chicken, Pulled pork, and really great desserts.

The wines that were served (and produced locally) were a nice pinot girisio, a blend (called the "Big O"), and a just released merlot. What was really great is that they allowed me to bring some of my wine to be tasted along side their comercial wines. The seemed impressed by my selection (a 2010 chillean, some 2006 san gio, a really nice 2007 napa merlot).

What was really AWESOME was what my wife set up for me after the party. A one-on-one session with their winemaker. We started by doing some tank tasings of some of the wines not yet released and also some of the wines that they were contracted to manufacture for some of the other wineries in the area. We finished off by his tasting some of my wines and then giving me an honest crtitique. The biggest piece of advice that he had for me is that my wines need to be barrel aged. I started doing this, but did not bring any for barel aged wine for tasting.

It is totally like a dream come true. to see all of my friends in such a venue and to then get a few pointers from a professional was the best thing that I could have ever hoped for on my 50th birthday.

I plan on doing this again. You are all invited to my 100th birthday!!!!!!

Back