Mosti Mondiale Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthomas

Junior
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the temperature for a Chardonnay secondary fermentation should be? 2 days ago, i went from primary to secondary and the SG at the time was 1042. Today when i checked it is now 1006. It seems a bit quick. Does anyone have an opinion? It was about 72d during primary and is still about the same. I thought maybe i need to cool it down to slow it down a little.
Thanks for the help,
Scott

Cool it down just a little if you want but be careful not to go too cool to quickly. That could cause a stuck fermentation and leave you with a sweet wine.

Welcome to our little corner of the world.

Agree with above. Is that the room temp you are giving us or the wine temp? During a vigorous fermentation wine temp can go up 10° by just its activity! Welcome to our family and hope you enjoy !

Thanks for the info.

I decided to leave it alone. This is my first batch, so i was a little concerned after reading a bunch of stuff that the flavor may be affected if it progressed too rapidly. That is the wine temp, it is running a few degrees above the room temp.

sthomas, My experience isn't anywhere near Wade's or Appleman's,who are wonderfully willing to share their knowledge, and it is confined to 16l or All Juice kits. But in that context, I haven't seen an increase in temp of anywhere near 10 degreesF. 5 yes.

What kit are you making?

The bigger the batch the more heat will be created. In commercial wineries they have to liquid cool the tanks.

Personally, I'd leave it alone @ 72 degrees and it should be bone dry withinthe week. Then get that rascal somewhere cooler to get those proteins falling.

Latest posts

Back