RJ Spagnols Time line

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I started my Grand Cru Petite Sirah on 11/15. I degassed, stabilized and cleared on 11/31. Its been sitting in the carboy ever since with one racking on 12/23.....

Should I bottle it now. Is ther anything I need to do or add to the wine before bottling. I have read about adding K meta or something like that. Is it required???

Thanks

Unless you need the carboy for something else I would let it sit for 6 months or so and then bottle. I did this kit a couple of years ago and it took a while to turn the corner. Now at 2 years old it is fantastic and worth the wait.
VPC

Wild Duck, I concur with vcasey and recommend letting it age in the carboy as long as you can stand it. Bulk aging allows the entire batch to improve in the same way over the same time period. Also, storing in bulk provides better protection from temp changes, as it takes more fluctuation to change the temp of 6-gallons than it does for 750 mils.

For a diversion while waiting for this wine to bulk age, I recommend starting another kit,... and then another....

If you are going to bottle it then I recommend adding another 1/4 tsp of k-meta if you plan on keeping these for more then 1 year. If you ar going to bulk age then in around 2-3 months add the 1/4 tsp then.

Latest posts

Back