CRABAPPLE WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Been making wines lately from all the fruits I steam juiced last summer....here is the latest batch....

CRAB APPLES

20060903_180037_1_crabapples.jpg

BOTTLED WINE THIS MORNING

Picture001Small-1.jpg

Tried a different recipe this time, added some apple juice and one bottle of Red Grape Concentrate to give it color....turned out very nice.

I usually just used the crabapple juice and White Grape Concentrate...it was usually a tawny color.

Nice color. How is crabb apple. My parents have a tree and maybe I will
help them keep there cars clean. The birds eat them and $%^& all
over their cars!

How much do you need per gallon. Recipe Please!
smiley4.gif

Very nice looking wines NW. Did you have any problem with adjustingacidity on the crabapples?

That should be an interesting one NW. The astringency of the crabs against the sweetness of the red grape while taking in the pretty color should make a good combination.

How's the fishing lately? Spening a lot of time on the solid H20?

appleman said:
That should be an interesting one NW. The astringency of the crabs against the sweetness of the red grape while taking in the pretty color should make a good combination.

How's the fishing lately? Spening a lot of time on the solid H20?

Fishing has been bad....we have been going out at least every other day for a few hours....

We have moved our house 4 times in 4 weeks....know that no one is having any luck because all the houses are moved every few days...we also will move again...maybe tomorrow.

Have found favorite spots from other years with the GPS...still hardy any fish in sight...have only brought 2 fish home in 4 weeks.

There is no snow on the ice, so it is very clear bright under the ice...personally I think that is why the fish are hiding....

We are ready for the morning shift...we'll see if we have better luck at day break...

CRAB APPLE/APPLE WINE

MIX:
25 POUND BUCKET OF CRAB APPLES = 9 1/2 QUARTS OF JUICE
5 CANS OLD ORCHARD FROZEN APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE
1 500 mil BOTTLE OF RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE [FOR COLOR]
3 QUARTS APPLE JUICE TO HEAT AND DISSOLVE SUGAR IN
5 CAMPDEN TABLETS
3 tsp ACID BLEND [I use ph papers...so don't know much about acid]
2 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
5# SUGAR
WATER TO 5 GALLONS AND S.G. 1090

NEXT DAY ADD:
2 1/2 tsp PEPTIC ENZYME

WAIT 1 HOUR...ADD:
5 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
2 1/2 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
LALVIN EC-1118 YEAST

USED SUPER-KLEER K-C to clarify.

POTASSIUM SORBATE TO STABILIZE AND
ASCORBIC ACID TO RETAIN THE COLOR AT BOTTLING.

WORKS FOR ME...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

That looks awsome Northern...
smiley20.gif
...I went and got myself a steamer...hopeing to try some rhubarb this weekend...I made an apple - crabapple blend earlier [just mashed them] and later threw away two pails of crabapples...not any more I hope

Northern it looks wonderful. I made a crabapple this past year as well, I didn't add any grape, so my wine turned out a real pretty pink color.

kutya said:
Northern it looks wonderful.  I made a crabapple this past year as well, I didn't add any grape, so my wine turned out a real pretty pink color. 

When I used Crabapple and 2 bottles of white grape concentrate my wine was a pinkish-tawny color, it wasn't unpleasant...I just thought it should have been pinker like you got out of yours....

So this batch I used one bottle of red grape concentrate, I knew it would color it up, wasn't expecting it to be this ruby color....

I was thinking the next batch to maybe try 2 bottles of red grape and have a red wine with a hint of apple...we'll see how it goes when I am ready to make that batch.

The neighbors have a huge tree, and it just gets loaded, the ground is red with little apples when they start to fall...so am looking for more wines to mix up.

What was your recipe??? How many pounds did you use??? Did you press them, grind them, boil them, etc...to get the juice out????

I steamed 16 lbs to make 3 gal. I used the recipe out of the little purple book. I haven't tried it other than when bottling, but I was pleased with the taste then. Now that I think about it, I'm going to crack a bottle when I get home......

Latest posts

Back