Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Equipment & Sanitation > What/which measurement equipment is recommended?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #21
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 885 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Others join in as interest dictates, I guess.

The cover specifically said do not use distilled water for storage solution. So, I'll dig up some storage solution somewhere.

I'm going to test the theory on how these readout (round up or whatever) maybe. Craig has a better quality meter with a reading out to 2 decimal places. We'll see how the compare, maybe.

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #22
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 577 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 352

I'm thinking no info given has been bad, otherwise someone woulda corrected me. I hope. My cheaper meter's instruction manual was a joke. I definitely trust that morewine guide over all.
And I can actually test that "rounding up" thing. Didn't think to do it till you brought it up. It's just a matter of getting out the powder mix and calibrating my 1st meter, which reads 2 decimal places in spite of being $15.
Also, I've been using the 4.01 buffer as storage without issues until a couple months ago when I finally ordered some actual storage solution.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #23
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3383 Times on 2141 Posts
Likes Given: 3692

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmann67 View Post
I do have a question: since this measures only to the tenth (00.0), does that mean that it rounds up/down, or must it cross a ph treshold before ticking up/down? For example: for an actual pH of 3.66, will it read 3.6 or 3.7?
I think you did not get any answers because we really couldn't guess. There are many schemes for doing analog-to-digital conversion. Here is a discussion for the main types:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog...onverter#Types

In my experience, most instruments (that I have encountered) use the successive approximation technique. That method would, if I am thinking about this correctly, do a "rounding," i.e., 3.64 would go to 3.6, and 3.66 would go to 3.7.

There is a lot more to consider, however. pH is a logarithmic scale. Does your sensor use a glass electrode, which mercifully has a linear response to this logarithmic scale? Or does it use a different sensor, with different response characteristics? Does your instrument perform the A-to-D conversion before or after accounting for the sensor response?

Obviously, we are not in a position to know these things. Your plan to try to find out experimentally is likely the best you can do!

Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #24
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 885 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post

In my experience, most instruments (that I have encountered) use the successive approximation technique. That method would, if I am thinking about this correctly, do a "rounding," i.e., 3.64 would go to 3.6, and 3.66 would go to 3.7.

Obviously, we are not in a position to know these things. Your plan to try to find out experimentally is likely the best you can do!

This is what I was thinking I'd find as well. Their way of getting "close enough for government work."

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...