WineXpert LE Vermentino

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After sitting quietly in bulk age, decided to calibrate the PH56 meter and check this Vermentino.
Surprisingly the pH reads 3.32 but it tastes like no other wine kit I made before, really off [emoji23][emoji23]

Can you describe how it tastes? Is it a dumper? I hope not. Here is a description that I found at WineFolly.com.

A glass of classic Sardinia Vermentino will offer up lively aromas of pear, white peach, lime and pink grapefruit with subtle notes of crushed rocks and citrus zest. On the palate, Vermentino is almost always dry and somewhat oily with flavors of grapefruit and citrus, with a crushed rocky minerality and saltiness. On the finish, it can be a bit snappy with bitterness similar to the taste of grapefruit pith or, if it’s on the riper side, fresh almond.

Is it anything like this? It sounds "different".

Also, I see that Vermentino is sometimes malolactic fermented. May have to adjust the acid a bit though.

Greg

Last edited:
I'm getting peach, grapefruit and some other citrus with a very crisp acidity - definitely some of that 'snappy bitterness' mentioned in the description from @Cellar_Dweller 's post. It's a nice wine, but I think I'll like it more in a year when it has had a chance to mellow some.

Last edited:
Racked/filtered the Vermentino today, poured a bit into a glass and added a tiny bit of tartaric using a finger tip just to check but not a good result.
The pH I got 2 days ago at ~3.32 seems to be just right so I left the racked wine alone and proceeded to bottle.
Hoping it changes for good down the road, it is not really that bad after tasting it more, maybe just needs more time.

I started this kit on Jan. 14 of this year, so over 5 months in bulk age.

I'm getting ready to start my kit too, and wondering if the choice of yeast is influencing the flavor. Maybe should stick with the EC1118 for a change.

I'm ready to bottle. Racked one last time Friday night and gave it a taste. It's really growing on me. I'm short on clear bottles though, so I need to 'empty' some. :dg

I went with the EC118 and cool fermentation (mid-60s deg F). Fermentation took about 12 days, but ended at 0.992. Once degassed and completely clear, I find this wine to be very good. I don't have a pH meter, but it wouldn't surprise me if the pH is a little higher, as it is not as tart as some whites. My pH test paper indicates about 3.5.

Upon sampling, it has a very distinctive taste. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so I gave it to someone with far superior senses. My wifey. She nailed it. The commercial wine Conundrum. Vementino must be the predominant grape in this blend. The makers just say Conundrum is an old recipe and a blend of California white grapes. They don't tell you what grapes are used. Conundrum is a hair on the sweet side, and while I like it, I think I like mine better, even despite its youth. I just prefer dryer wines. So if you want to know what Vermentino tastes like, pick up a Conundrum; about $16 'round here.

Greg

Last edited:
Also there are a few wineries in Texas that make a vermentino, apparently they grow it in the "high plains" aka Lubbock.

Latest posts

Back