Greeting from Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWinoandIknow

Reaction score
Glad to have found this resource, novice might be an overstatement. Just got my first equipment kit and went all in on a WE Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir Kit. I plan to start this weekend any and all tips/suggestions welcome!

:ib

Welcome to the forum. If you run into any problems, jump on and ask questions or ask for help. Usually someone around to help you out. Arne.

any and all tips/suggestions welcome!

As an Eclipse kit, wait at least 18 months before you start to drink it.

So, as soon as it is in the carboy, start another kit and buy another carboy. Australian Petite Verdot is nice after 9 months:
http://labelpeelers.com/wine-making...tralian-petite-verdot-wine-kit-w-grape-skins/

However, as your first kit, I suggest finding a cheaper one. 1) You will make all your novice mistakes on a cheap kit; and 2) It will be ready to drink sooner, and you won't be as tempted to drink your more expensive kit too early.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Read your instructions several times before starting the kit and be sure to stop back if you have any questions.

I suggest you use spring water to make your wine.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

My advice would be:
If you have a choice in your instructions to do something by either a timeframe or a hydrometer reading, do whatever takes the LONGEST. That's always a safe bet.

Also degas (stir) longer than the instructions tell you. You can do a "puff" test for gas. Use the thief to fill a test tube or bottle about halfway, seal the lid with your hand, shake it, and release your hand. Puff - still dissolved gas, no puff - you're good to go.

+1 on the aging your wine. It will improve over time.

Best of luck!

Back