Best Cherry for Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David219

Reaction score
I've seen a number if recent posts about cherries and cherry wine. We are heading up to Michigan next week. If cherries are available, I plan on getting some. I've never tried making a fruit wine before, but a cherry wine seems really attractive to me.

I've read a number of threads, and I'm a bit fuzzy on what type of cherry to choose. Some have written about a "cough syrup" taste with some cherries. I want to avoid that flavor profile...I don't like it when I encounter it in grape wines, either.

Would pie/tart cherries be the better choice over sweet cherries? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

We've made cherry wine from sweet and sour cherries, and my opinion is that the sour cherries make a better wine. The cherry flavor is most evident with sour cherries. We always order cherries from Michigan, thru a local orchard, and I heard that Michigan has no cherries this year. My wild cherry trees never even bloomed, this year. It was too hard of a winter last year.

We've made lots of cherry wine and never had cough syrup taste. Use 10# per gallon, no water, and you'll have a great wine. It even retains that tart cherry flavor. A real nice wine.

Thanks for the reply, Turock. That's disappointing about the cherry crop...maybe I'll look for another fruit wine to try. Cherries just seemed like a perfect fit, given our travel plans, location, time of year, and all.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I've made several cherry wines, the black sweet cherries worked best IMHO, although there was a wild tart cherry we tried once that was excellent.

Latest posts

Back