Vinmetrica SC-300

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying the Vinmetrica SC-300 and would like to hear from others who have this, and hear what they have to say.

I am also thinking of buying this soon. As far as I have seen there are no discounts. i.e. it is the same price if you buy from the vendor or a on-line wine/beer supply store. Have you seen any discounts?

I doubt that you will see any discounts, it is my understanding that all resellers have to commit to sell at the same price.
I have the SC-300, it is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to testing your wine. I usually have to test 10-12 batches of wine, what use to take me hrs has literally been reduced to a fraction of that time, not to mention the guess work when using some of the kits used to test TA and SO2, the SC-300 makes it fast, and efficient.

I too use one. If you are serious about this hobby put it on your list.

RR

I purchased one a year ago. Initially I had an issue with it but they quickly resolve the problem with a firmware upgrade. I've been happy with the SC-300. I also believe that their new Malo-Lactic tester is compatible with the SC-300 as well. Runningwolf on the forum has had the opportunity to beta test the new product.

I've had mind for over a year and love it. If your into wine making to stay, spend the cash, its worth it.

Thanks everyone. Nothing better than word of mouth from those who have it. Will be placing an order today.

I doubt that you will see any discounts, it is my understanding that all resellers have to commit to sell at the same price.

My understanding is that is an illegal practice in the United States. That is why you see Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. Otherwise, it's price fixing. How rigorous the enforcement is, I don't know.

I thought the same thing, but there is a way around it called minimum resale price restrictions. I think they can simply stop anyone from being a dealer who does not agree to their rules. The idea is that by making sure the distribution is at a price where everyone can make a profit they get distributers/dealers who take a real interest and provide great support and it also allows them to provide great support. in other distribution models you have everyone selling as low as possible and no one gives any service. A vendor can choose the first model if they believe it will strength their overall sales though better support. This is probably the perfect small company for that kind of distribution model. They want to give exceptional support. However, it may keep their price high. I wonder how many more they would sell if they went the other route. Of course there would probably not be so many glowing reports on their service.

Here is a description of price fixing vs minimum resale price restrictions

http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2010/08/p...price-restrictions-are-two-different-animals/

one is horizontal and the other vertical.

btw, I ordered one so expect questions :) Its a lot of money, but I also have invested a lot of money in juice and equipment and now that I am aging my wines I don't want to risk them going bad unnecessarily.

Last edited:
The price was lower when it first came out. When they started distributing them to retailers they had to raise the price so the retailers could make money. Just like Steve with the All In One, he is making enough money for himself but for a retailer to sell them the price would have to go up dramatically. The manufacture cannot under sell his distributors so all sell at the same price.

Finally got around to setting up my new SC 300 Pro Kit. Wow! I had been so used to my AO setup I thought it would take me awhile to adjust to the new operation. The learning curve was minimal and all I can say is I am tickled pink. I double checked all of my readings (pH, TA, SO2) against all of my other testing tools, ie Ph meters and AO, and all the results were within 1/100.

This will definitely speed things up for me. Now the SO2 test only takes a few minutes vs the 15-20 min before with the ao setup.

The burrette, magnetic stirrer, and electrode holder really make things efficient. This is a tool that will definitely pay for itself in no time. Thanks for the recommendation forum members!

I just got the 300 pro also, have not had time to play with it except get it out of the box.
BTW we are now stocking the whole line of Vinmetrica testers.

I got my Vinmetrica SC-300 a few months ago and have been very pleased. It simplifies and greatly improves the accuracy of my testing and for me is a valuable piece of equipment to have. The online videos are excellent and the web site gives an instruction summary "cheat sheet" for each test. I did not buy the magnetic stirring bar, electrode holder, or burette.

It's easy for those who have bought it to say others should too. However, it may or may not be for everyone. I make mostly kits and to be honest most kit winemakers do not need that level of testing to do well. Kits have been balanced for pH and acidity and the SO2 addition instruction guidelines (1/4 tsp K-Meta every 3-4 months per 6 gal.) should cover you well. (But you really don't know until you test it!)

I began ordering juice buckets and realized that the pH test strips and other simple testing methods had their limitations and did not seem accurate enough for me. Since I had not yet incurred the expense of a pH meter, the Vinmetrica was especially good for me because it measures pH, TA, and FSO2. I like knowing I am getting more accuracy in my testing and can use these test results to adjust pH or acidity of must in my juice buckets if I need to.

Now I know in each batch exactly how much free SO2 I have and can begin to equate that to K-Meta I have added for my wine kits. I also test some commercial wine now and then to get a feel for the numbers.

In assessing your wines at various stages of their development, the numbers are really important, but remember: so is your taste!

NS

I just realized that this thread was on the Commercial Winery Forum! I got here by searching for Vinmetrica after seeing the thread on my iPad while out of town.

I stand by my comments but realize they would have been more appropriate elsewhere! I apologize if it seemed I was talking down to the commercial forum members. There is so much we could all learn from you guys!

NS

No worries, it happens often. I have commented on topics and then realized later what "room" I was in....awkward.

The feedback from those who have purchased this item proves it is a good tool for the winemaker who needs this level of testing.

Latest posts

Back