What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonight was city chicken (If your not from here your not gonna know what it is lol) mashed potato's and corn on the cob. Here is last nights pics I promised.

White cheddar mac&Cheese. Ritz crumbled topping
045.jpg

Glazed carrots. Not everyone's fav but its mine
048.jpg

Balsamic glazed London Broil resting
050.jpg

Just right
058.jpg

the meal with a piece of buttered home made jalapeno crusty bread
066-001.jpg

Home grown beet borscht with sour cream and vinegar, and a slice of gluten free toast to dip with. No wine with this one - just a rum and coke :)

Desert. Take you pick. If you have never done this do it. Mix a large bag of Brachs candy corn (Must be Brachs) and salted peanuts (Must be salted) taste just like a payday candy bar!!! Good stuff. I love this time of year!!
067-1.jpg

Last edited:
I vacuum marinated some of my spring Tom turkey. I planned on doing it up on the BBQ but the weather had other plans. Had to settle for oven kabobs.

Cooked some taters and sweet corn to go along with it and washed it down with a glass of strawberry swill. One of the better meals I've had in the past couple of weeks

image-4233874594.jpg

image-120077798.jpg

ok i give up..what is city chicken....but looks really good. is that a brisket are pork belly.. I cant tell.

beet borscht...omg that sounds horrible...but in the south we eat the beet tops cooked like turnip greens, which probably is just as repulsive to you as us eating eating the beets...
funny how different parts of the world eat so many different things.

ok i give up..what is city chicken....but looks really good. is that a brisket are pork belly.. I cant tell.

beet borscht...omg that sounds horrible...but in the south we eat the beet tops cooked like turnip greens, which probably is just as repulsive to you as us eating eating the beets...
funny how different parts of the world eat so many different things.

Breaded pork and veal on a stick, Tess it is not just in your area.

James, why don't you know this?

Last edited:
Are you kidding me James?!? Beet borscht is the best! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I also will do a 'southern style' collard greens now and again - I think I'm the only Northerner who does though :) Had a craving for it when I was preggers and never went back.

I love how y'all in the States like to smoke your meats - I've been dying to give it a go up here.

I just dont like beets are liver..lol
I have tried it a few times...

Julie, I have never heard of what Tess made. (City Chicken).....

My anniversary dinner. Rib Eye on the grill, Capresse salad, and asparagus rosotto. Opened a 2009 bottle of Justin Vinyard wine. Oh what a night. Bakervinyard

Being from MI both our mothers made City Chicken, usually Sunday dinners. We have it every couple of weeks in the winter only because we are "grill" folks most of the time.

Breaded pork and veal on a stick, Tess it is not just in your area.

James, why don't you know this?

Glad you asked James.
I guess City Chicken didn't cross the Mason Dixon line. I remember it from school lunches in Ohio, but couldn't remember what it actually was. (mystery meat) I hadn't heard or thought of it since I left Yankeeland in 1975.
In some ways, I think I might be a better person for forgetting it. :)

I just dont like beets are liver..lol
I have tried it a few times...

Julie, I have never heard of what Tess made. (City Chicken).....

LOL, you can walk into any meat store around here and they will be selling it.

As said I had never heard of it...here the closest thing we have do it is
chicken coated in flour and browned then added to pot with stock, etc to make a gravy...We call it smothered chicken.
I know what you mean though, Julie.
When i was in buffalo, the rage was beef on wick, and I was like what in the hell is that.
But then, not many people know what a rice calas is.. but its common here.
Different regions have there on best food...lol but never beets..

tonight> i eat what i like, not whats healthy.
double dipped fried chicken, with the skin
thick mashed potatoes made with real butter and real cream
fresh whole green beans with grilled pork belly
cream gravy made from the grease the chicken was fried in.

want some...lol

I had never heard of city chicken either, and I grew up in Philly.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_chicken):

The dish is popular in cities throughout the eastern Great Lakes region of Ohio and Michigan as well as the northeastern Appalachian regions of Pennsylvania and Upstate New York, and at least as far south and west as Louisville, Kentucky. City chicken is commonly found in the metropolitan areas of Binghamton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Erie, Pittsburgh and Scranton, hence, the dish's "urban" title. In Canada, the deli-counter version is popular in the Ottawa Valley and Kitchener area.

So, it looks like it DID cross the Mason-Dixon line (to southern Ohio) but didn't cross east over the Alleghenies! Hasn't made it west to Milwaukee, either.

I live less than a hour away from Kitchener and have never heard of it

Tess , what a wonderful food thread, it is amazing the responses, and the different post....I for one am kinda thrown back, I thought that as a progressive cook I knew most all the comfort foods, from everywhere.
Guess I was wrong.
This is on my A list to do....thanks for the post.

Latest posts

Back