moving to washington state question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm retiring this year and planning to move to Washington. We really like the area in the NW part of the state but don't like the rain. so our next choice would be around the Ellensburg Wenatchee area. It seems like the climate is way better than northern Wisconsin. We've only driven through Wenatchee in June and stopped for lunch at a park on the river, so didn't get much of a feel for the place. With all the opportunities for outdoor recreation it seems like a great place to get outside with my dogs and wife all year. Anyone have any experience with this part of the state?

Wife is from Seattle so I have spent a lot of time there. Just remember that winters will be COLD. More sunshine east of the mountains for sure. If you haven't checked out the tri-cities area (Richland-Pasco-Kennewick) that is a real booming area. Its very dry, with hot summers and cold winters as well but lots more SUN. You have the river to cool off with lots of boating opportunities (the boat races are AMAZING!) plus you will be in the middle of the hottest up and coming wine region in the USA. Grapes are being planted every year and a new bonded winery is licensed every 15 days on average. SOunds like you need to do some more "research" before you fully decide!

i watch the weather every day on my iphone, i think ellens urg had 2 days below 20, in wisconsin i lost count of the days below zero. i' ve done alot of research just looking for some personal feedback

I was born and raised in Wentachee, and will be moving back to establish a family vineyard / chase my life dream - my dad still lives there with a majority of his siblings and my grandfather. Personally, i love the area but.. Some things to keep in mind - Wenatchee is a bit "Retirement town"-ish, with no big "night life" but lots of outdoor activites. I heard just recently that the race track shut down, saddened me but its probably for the better. Theres the river right through town, hills to hike in all around, several lakes and canyons to explore... Life runs at a pace way slower than city-life, i miss it..

There's a definite influx of field labor that comes in the spring-summer-fall, but they're for-the-most-part hard-working, decent folks.. It's kind of amazing to see, to me

Just up the river from Wenatchee is Lake Chelan, which is far enough for me from Wenatchee to "keep it quiet at home".. But when you feel like a party, they know how to do it at Lake Chelan..

Climing up the canyons towards the mountain is a Bavarian (i think?) replicated city, Leavensworth, which is a nice little town in itself although being tucked up in the canyons at the base of the pass, it gets it fair-share of fog / cool mornings.. Quaint little town though..

Ellensburg is home to Central Washington University, and is mostly centered around the income involved with the college being there... Lots of things come with it - the parties, the shenanigans, an influx of college kids..

Farther to the southwest, the climate gets a little more insane - The Tri-Cities get over 100F in the summer, and more snow in the winter than the Ellensburg/Cle Elum/Wenatchee/Leavensworth area..

If you're anywhere in the area, be ready for real summers - 80-90-100F, be ready for the leaves to really fall in the fall, snow really comes in the winter, and theres definitely lightning storms to watch from a window in the spring....... You dont get that seasonal-distinction on the coast, where i'm at for the moment.

Wood,

I was born and raised in the Auburn Valley, (between Seattle & Tacoma) and my family comes from the Omak/ Okanogan area, which is north of Wenatchee.

As a youth, we would go that way at least once a year. It seems like we would take Blewett Pass (sp), and come down into Wenatchee. It was a long, winding two lane road with hair pin curves and sheer drop offs. My mother used to grip the dashboard! :)
I recall we would stop on the top of the pass somewhere, and fill a 5gallon water jug with ice cold- snow melt water. In those days, that water was almost magical! These days, I wouldn't even consider it with all the pollution in the air.
With that said, I don't think you would regret the move. Washington State has so many different aspects to it. Rain forest, lush conifer forest, mountains, arid plains, desert, volcano's, salt water, ocean and the Columbia River. The Washington wine industry seems to be doing quite well, and there are so many activities available. Plus, it's warmer in the winters than where you are!

Deezil,

I see your in Federal Way. I spent many days and evenings on the pier at Redondo, and we used to “cruise” the Sea-Tac mall on the weekends as teenagers.

I lived a good part of my adult life in the deep south, and now I'm here in Colorado.
I REALLY miss Washington State. I miss the old growth forests, the waterfronts and even the slugs. (don't think there's many slugs on the east side of Cascades)
I told our realitor some six years ago, I wanted three things; mountains, trees and ocean. I'm still waiting for the full effect of global warming for the last. :rn

Wood,

I hope the best for you in your venture!

Randy

Deezil,

I see your in Federal Way. I spent many days and evenings on the pier at Redondo, and we used to “cruise” the Sea-Tac mall on the weekends as teenagers.

I did the very same.... Activities :sm

Plenty is still the same, but Federal Way is a different beast, even from 10 years ago

It's funny you spoke of Blewett pass, thats my favorite way to travel between Federal Way/Tacoma/Auburn/Kent/Renton to Wenatchee... Snoqualmie pass, then Blewett.. Been over and back countless times :)

There are areas of rain shaddow in Western Washington where there is no where near the rain fall as most of Western Washington Port Ludlow and Sequim on Olympic peninsula, Areas on San Jaun Islands and part of Cameio Island.I have lived in Tri Cities and it gets over the top HOT(125) in summer and as low as 30 below in winter. On East side go up next to Rockies like Spokane area. It does have more snow though. Ellensburg sucks in my opnion. Windy and dry and cold in winter. Windy dry and hot in summers. Now Lake Chelan is my east side choice and they have 2 of my favorite vineyards. West Side I would go with San Juans if you can handle Ferry rides.

We did a cross country vineyard/winery/brewery tour of WA last August (self guided). Here are a few of my observations but we didn't travel down the coast or too far south much:

Lake Chelan - beautiful & expensive
Cashmere & Leavenworth - beautiful and quaint
Ellensburg - windy, hot, windy. Many wind turbines
Moses Lake - hot and flat - wine culture starting
Yakima - lots of orchards but a prison town. Hop Festival
Spokane - hot but lots to do
Colville - nice timber & mountains medium climate

Back