Degassing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I have 3 carboys (6 gal) in various stages of aging. They all have been degassed with the drill attached stirrer. I'm pretty sure they are totally degassed and since I'm bulk aging them, they would probably degass naturally anyway. However, I have since purchased a vacuum pump. My question is: is it okay to hook up the pump to carboys to see if there is anymore gas remaining? Will it hurt anything? Just curious. Maybe I just want to try out the pump.

No harm at all, give it a run. Youll probably be amazed at much C02 is still in there! Sometimes you do a good job with the mixer but sometimes there are batches that are very stubborn.

However, I have since purchased a vacuum pump. Just curious. I just want to try out the pump.

Mike I would just attach the hose to these and then to your neck. If it works it'll leave a souvenir.

KISSIN130.gif

That reminds me of something that should make you guys laugh! About 1 1/2 years ago we had one of those Glad vacuum bga sealers, the ones that you pump to vacuum seal food. My son pulled it out of the drawer and decided to play withit without permission. Here is the end result!

DSCN0773.jpg

Boy, haven't we all done stuff like that while we were growing up. Too funny.

Wade, he looks thrilled to be getting his picture taken. He's thinking..... OK.... so I did something stupid and now you want to take a picture of it so that you can torment me when I get older..... jeeez dad! Funny.

Hey, he didnt have to deal with the person running the daycare and the principle of the school so yep, payback!

HA HA HA Save the picture until he starts to date! Hope that was the only place he tried.

Latest posts

Back