Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't try that, I had tried racking it through a coffee filter/strainer, but it wouldn't pass through the coffee filter.

Mine took forever to clear but never really cleared like most wines do. Floaters seem to pop up at random also for awhile.
I took a bottle to a cook out yesterday and it was a big hit and so was my Skeeter pee.

:D Ok, count me in the "You twisted my arm" club. Now I'm going to try my hand at Skittle wine.

Rick-Sarah, how did you make your f-pack or did you just dump some Skittles in the carboy to infuse the flavor. If you did that how much did you add per gallon. Would you do it again or did it make a mess?

ummmmmmmm.........f-pack? Nope, didn't do that! So far seemed to taste pretty good without it.

Rick-Sarah, how did you make your f-pack or did you just dump some Skittles in the carboy to infuse the flavor. If you did that how much did you add per gallon. Would you do it again or did it make a mess?

I took two small bags of Skittles and just a tiny bit of water and dissolved them in a pan on the stove. Once it was ready I dumped it in. This added a lot of Skittles flavor to the wine. I only made one gallon so you will need more.

Good to know! I might do that for the bigger batch, I'm probably going to leave the smaller batch alone for now.

Thanks for the good feedback. I just bought another big bag at Sams. I have an extra half gallon for topping up so I'll probably just heat that up and add the skittles to the for a flavor pack.

I have yet to need to add a flavor pack to my skittles. The flavor is there with out it and after 6 months of aging the flavor jumps out big time.

TJBryner

Sorry I forgot till I looked in my notes, I did add a flavor pack to the 1 st batch, All I did was dumped in 3 small bags, and left them dissolve.

For some reason I didn't write down what my SG was after I back sweetened. I'll be opening a bottle tonight to share with friends so I'll check it. Sorry about it took so long to get back to you, It's been nuts around here!! (Gathering up Walnuts for something special)

TJBryner

Going to make ten gallons of this. I experimented with dissolving the colors to get something better than brown. I'm going to split the batch into two fives to get these colors.
3eRjk.jpg

Found a great deal (2 bags for $7) on the big bags of Skittles on Amazon but I think they just upped the price. I'm getting 10 more pounds in addition to the five I have. This is going to get crazy. MORE SKITTLES! I might turn it into mead and use honey instead of the sugar.
I post progress pics once I get the candy and am done separating them.

Last edited:
What did you back sweeten it to?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you... Paperwork and paperwork... Trying to get this winery going might be the death of me.

Ok Back sweetened mine to 1.05.

I'm thinking that doing all the colors separate and then mixing them after at bottling time would be interesting, BUT a real pain and mess.....HMMM might have to think about it for a while.

TJBryner

I had actually done a little experimenting... I separated colors as well, but it after it was done fermenting it had actually lost all it's color. Both batches were the same exactly color (similar to a darker white wine). I ended up just adding some strawberry Koolaid to it to add color, it's still in the process of clearing.

Mine took forever to clear but never really cleared like most wines do. Floaters seem to pop up at random also for awhile.
I took a bottle to a cook out yesterday and it was a big hit and so was my Skeeter pee.

So mine is still cloudy, after 2 weeks hasn't dropped any more sediment (after adding more pectic and superkleer). I added a pretty hefty f-pac back then too. I had a few people taste test it would said that it probably didn't even need to be sweetened........they also loooooved it and can't wait for it! :) So I'm thinking I'm probably going to just bottle it soon. Since it more of a novelty wine, I'm not all that concerned with it being clear, it seems people are going to like it anyways! Since it essentially lost all it's color during the fermentation process, I also added strawberry Kool aid to give it some red color as well. I don't think I'll have any of this left after the holidays.

So any progress on clearing? I just moved my last batch of plum wine to a secondary, so I've got buckets a plenty and thinking this may be my next project. Questions for those who have tried it:

1) Does removing the scum from the primary effect fermentation (i.e., remove yeast)? If not, how often should it be done?

2) Anyone who used sparkalloid, any positive results?

3) The cheesecloth around the syphon working out for anyone?

4) Any other notes before I begin?

I plan to use my cheap bucket (doesn't create a perfect seal) and just do a gallon, since gallon jugs are cheap and easier to clean than carboys. If anyone has any other advice not already in the thread please throw it my way! Will be venturing forward likely this weekend (after planting my apple and cherry trees)...

EDIT: ok, committed. Just ordered 3.375lbs on amazon!

Last edited:
So any progress on clearing? I just moved my last batch of plum wine to a secondary, so I've got buckets a plenty and thinking this may be my next project. Questions for those who have tried it:

1) Does removing the scum from the primary effect fermentation (i.e., remove yeast)? If not, how often should it be done?

2) Anyone who used sparkalloid, any positive results?

3) The cheesecloth around the syphon working out for anyone?

4) Any other notes before I begin?

I plan to use my cheap bucket (doesn't create a perfect seal) and just do a gallon, since gallon jugs are cheap and easier to clean than carboys. If anyone has any other advice not already in the thread please throw it my way! Will be venturing forward likely this weekend (after planting my apple and cherry trees)...

EDIT: ok, committed. Just ordered 3.375lbs on amazon!

1) Does removing the scum from the primary effect fermentation (i.e., remove yeast)? If not, how often should it be done? I left it alone till i moved to secondary and racked it off.

2) Anyone who used sparkalloid, any positive results? I had no luck with it seems that it never really clears or last long enough to worry about it.

3) The cheesecloth around the syphon working out for anyone?never tried that, but the batch I'm getting ready to start will be frozen 1st and I'm going to see if I can pull it off before I start fermentation.

4) Any other notes before I begin?Make a big batch it don't last long!

TJBryner

Latest posts

Back