Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Forum Comments, Suggestions & Help > Wine Cellar Refrigeration Calculator

Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #41
stickman
Veteran Winemaker

Jun 2014
Liked 231 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I was just referring to a non-submersible pump, if your pump is only running for four minutes at a time, it probably isn't worth spending money on a different pump. Is it still holding at 57F?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
meadmaker1

Jan 2017
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You can also add tubing inside the freezer, perhaps a coil of copper around your tank. This would increase surface area , and the tubing will have a more tubulant flow, which causes brine to mix bringing all the brine in contact with the pipe wall.
The type of thing we design for in ground source / geothermal heatpumps.
Hit up an hvac guy on a job site for some scrap 3/8 copper.
Ive kept the owner of the co. I work for up on your project as he scoffed at this idea originally When I brought it up to him. His wine cooler compairs to yours in size. But the cellar cool split unit I installed for him was stupid expensive for what it was.
He asked where you were, and suggested he would have offered scrap tubing for the opportunity to monitor success/failure of this idea.
Lol his wife would have given ok for a bottle of wine.
I think you are in pretty fair shape for such a simple design, and only minnor adjustments so far.
How much product do you have in the cooler, this will have some affect on load.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #43
mainshipfred

Feb 2017
Liked 141 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Wasn't trying to avoid you and I can't thank both of you enough for all your advice and recommendations. I wanted get some specifics before I responded. I attached a spreadsheet of certain information like the cycling timing and brine temps. Also I can't get an accurate reading on the temp in and out of the coil but the differential is somewhere between 2 and 5*, the readings I am getting with the gun to the tubing is 51-55 or so. The flow is .33 gal/min. I set it to 62 yesterday afternoon and when I checked to brine temp today it was at 40. The readings on the attachment with it set at 57*. I don't have any product inside the unit and understand the beneficial impart it would have. My biggest concern is my ambient now at 70* with the unit not really performing the way I would like I'm concerned about the performance when the ambient gets to 80-85. I now have 12 gallons of brine and trying to find a metal container. I also have a larger coil from an old Mitsubishi unit I could modify to run the brine through before it enters the storage. I'll take more readings later this afternoon and keep you posted.

Being new to wine making I don't have a lot to offer in that regard but perhaps when (or if ever) this gets working it will benefit other with storage. It really is an inexpensive system.

4-15-2017 cooling cycle.pdf

Old 04-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

I wanted to wait until tomorrow to post this but I'm too excited, hopefully not prematurely. Bought a 50' roll of 3/8 copper and made a coil to line the inside of the freezer for the return line to the storage tank. Also removed most of the plactic supply line and replaced it with copper. After about 3 hours at approx 10 minute cycles I'm maintaining 57* with virtually no change in the brine temperature (used your term Keith). The run cycle is getting shorter, about 2.5 minutes and lessening while the off cycle is around 6.5 minutes and getting longer. All this with still no product in the cooler but an ambient of 72*. I hope I am just as excited in the morning.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil out of Freezer.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	35429[/ATTACH]
Coil in Freezer.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #45
meadmaker1

Jan 2017

Hooking up a comercial unit today before I leave for gold camp. (Whiskey/fire arm camp really just at gold claim)
I think your system is easyer and less work with better manual. Im becoming a fan of ducted package units. Ill post pics when I come home. Ill be throwing manufacturer under the buss due to lack of instructional literature as well. It seems that because so few installers read them they've stopped publishing them ???

Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #46
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

It's still holding 57* with no product and the brine staying at 28*. Run cycle now below 2.5 minutes. Look forward to your pics Kieth.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #47
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

Keith and Stickman (sorry I don't know your name) here's what I got. I have 4-6gal carboys and 3 5gallon bottles of water to help hold temperature so still not full by any means. At 57* if I use a 1* differential the run is just under 2 minutes and the off is just over 9 minutes. If I change the differential to 2* the run is about 3.5 minutes and the off is around 24 minutes. Is there any benefit to one or the other. Either way my brine is staying around the upper 20's.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #48
stickman
Veteran Winemaker

Jun 2014
Liked 231 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 121

My cellar is cooled by a 15yr old Odyssey Vintage Keeper through-the-wall unit, I have it set for 59F and it cools the air down to about 56F before shutting off. The temperature of the wine in the bottles doesn't vary as much as the air, so I believe it is acceptable.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #49
meadmaker1

Jan 2017

Most electric thermostats will read within one degree but will limit cycles per hour to 9.
Your not starting a compressor each cycle, so either way should be fine.
Generally the longer run times are preferred, as long as your coil isnt freezing or has time to thaw before freezing again.
Product should help keep temps even.

mainshipfred Likes This 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #50
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

Funny you should say. The coil was freezing at 2# cooling differential. I had to set it back to 1. I knew about the longer run for pumps base on my experience with sewage pump sizing and would liked to have kept it at 2.