Lid or no lid after adding yeast.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozana

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there,
This is my first time doing this, making wine and posting on this forum.
Two days ago I went to buy some wine juice - just to drink it like that, sweet, but they were only selling it by the bucket-23L, so I ended up with a bucket, lid with a little hole with rubber around it for air, and 15L of Merlot juice. Also got a little package of LALVIN wine yeast. I was suggested that after I'm done drinking the juice, I should sprinkle the yeast on top of the juice. Now, my question is: should I put the lid back on or not? I don't want the bucket to explode, and I'm wondering if that little hole from the lid will be enough for the air to come out during fermentation.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Welcome aboard!!

You can cover the bucket with a towel during primary fermentation. Did you pick up a hydrometer? If not - i would suggest getting one.

When you transfer to secondary then you will put the airlock on to keep O2 out.

Ozana welcome You've come to the right place. First of all you will leave the lid on loosely. Gotta keep critters out. Take a gravity reading and record somewhere.

You will want to add @20 drops of pectic enzyme, and some yeast nutrients to your must. Gentle stir that in and replace the lid loosely.

After @12 hours add your yeast to @ 2 ounces of water no hotter than 100 degrees. It needs to be very warm. Give it a jiggle to moisten the yeast then wait 15 minutes. Leave the yeast alone. After 15 minutes add it to your must and stir in. Replace the lid loosely.

You should see activity in a day or so. Keep in a warm area and stir twice daily. Not vigorous, gently.

It should finish fermenting in @ 7 days.

Yes just lay the lid on top. Reason is in the begining the yeast like alot of oxygen to help them multiply. The hole on top of the lid is only a vent hole. Now once you add the yeast do you have a 6 gallon carboy to rack in? You will need other chemicals. Do you have them?

Welcome!!
What I also do sometimes is use a plastic bag that I've previously sterilised, and I attache it whit a bungy, not too tight so the air can get out but not go in...
I used to always do that when making beer (I don't remember why...) For wine I use fermenters with lids that let the air out

Thank you guys for your quick reply.
I don't have anything else - chemicals, extra buckets or 'tools' , except the bucket with the lid, the must :) and the package of yeast. I'm not planning to get 'to deep' into this wine making, at least not for now, because I live in an apartment building. :) Is just that I ended up with so much must, that I can't drink it all, and I don't want to loose it or make it vinegar. :) The girl from the front desk where I bought the must and the container from, made it sound so easy: put this package - the yeast, let it sit for 9 months, and that's it - the wine is ready. :) Suuuuuuuure. If it would have been that easy, everyone would have been making wine. :)
Anyway, I just needed the 'easy version' of how to not loose this must.
I appreciate it.

Wine making is very easy there are just a few more steps than she mentioned. A few items are a big help too.

What I love most about this is that you went in to buy a container of juice to drink and they sold you on a bucket of juice to ferment......

.....the accidental winemaker.

Welcome aboard.

Pantyhose works nice to cover the bucket too. Makes the Mrs. a little angry but she gets to go shopping for more so we're all happy in the end. :h

Latest posts

Back