Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most cases no matter what the kit or price the noses is lite to non existennce.
It's just the way kits are, now unless you yweek with flavors ,like currents, fpac ,zest the noses isn't there or very lite.

The nose has probably ripped out by the heavy use of findings and the EC1118 that they add to these kits. I use a kit solely for the juice and then follow my normal wine making procedures - using no fining agents and using a higher grade of yeast and adding currants. I leave it to time - to precipate out solids. This also means I don't drink the wine for at least eighteen months.
How long do you wait to degas and stabilize?

What yeast do you use?
For the reds I use R56 which I understand is a rebrand of RC212. Degassing occurs naturally over time during bulk storage. Stabilising I use potassium sorbate. I attach a pic of my Chilean Malbec kit (Cheeky Monkey) in full ferment. You'll note two small nylon bags in the photo. One contains Oak and the other Currants.

C33BD288-DC4E-434D-B20A-4A81F148EBF5.jpeg BBBF6551-0679-4C5D-A355-3A8D0AAB1EAF.jpeg

Thanks all! I have a kit Sangiovese going - did not continue past second racking with fining agents. My thought was just to let it bulk age - so I'll just let it sit. Excellent point about the yeast. That's an easy fix - adding currants. Brilliant.

I just put RC212 in my fresh grapes - oh my does it smell marvelous!

I think the “Nose” in wine depends on a ton of variables, we are having a super high mold count here in South Texas right now. My sinuses are a bit overwhelmed and my smeller not so good. I have a Malbec that was bottled 18 months ago that we opened last night. I could smell a pleasant light nose, but my Wife and Daughter both said it had a great nose. I am thinking it all depends on the weather and your smeller.

I think the “Nose” in wine depends on a ton of variables, we are having a super high mold count here in South Texas right now. My sinuses are a bit overwhelmed and my smeller not so good. I have a Malbec that was bottled 18 months ago that we opened last night. I could smell a pleasant light nose, but my Wife and Daughter both said it had a great nose. I am thinking it all depends on the weather and your smeller.
Yes, we all have different sensory experiences. My wife doesn't pick up any subtle smells whilst my dear old gas chromatograph picks up most odours. That ability has it's good and bad points. Mostly associated with smelling off odours in public places. I have often walked into and out of cafes or outside areas and immediately exited - as the senses pick up off odours as a kind of warning.

Getting off subject.... anyone have more success with the addition of foacs or zest..
Usually zest as a crispness to the senses and can be detected.
Grapefruit foacs do add a soft nose if not and depending on the volume added a fruit forward nose.
Because the use in tanniins and oak in kits is marginal the oak perfume is also milded unless you use more than expected or barrel aged your

Thanks all! I have a kit Sangiovese going - did not continue past second racking with fining agents. My thought was just to let it bulk age - so I'll just let it sit. Excellent point about the yeast. That's an easy fix - adding currants. Brilliant.

I just put RC212 in my fresh grapes - oh my does it smell marvelous!
I suspect it might be a bit late, but did you check the pH of the juice after adding water. I did an Italian Sangiovese kit a couple of months back and discovered the pH sitting around 4.2. So I acidulated the water to bring it down to 3.5. Whereas my recent Malbe kit was sitting nicely at 3.2 after the water addition.

Ya, when I reply on the phone stuff happens,when on the PC spell check takes over.
pH as well as sg. Float from kit to kit that's why you must use your tools. All the time.

That’s what proof reading is all about. Not that we do that all the time. Gotta love the automatic correction and spell checkers.

Back to wine, the Chablis should be ready for secondary fermentation tomorrow. Will check the SG first, but the yeast has been bubbling away all week and is down to a bubble every few minutes now. Looking forward to seeing how the Grapefruit zest worked.

I suspect it might be a bit late, but did you check the pH of the juice after adding water. I did an Italian Sangiovese kit a couple of months back and discovered the pH sitting around 4.2. So I acidulated the water to bring it down to 3.5. Whereas my recent Malbe kit was sitting nicely at 3.2 after the water addition.

Not for the Sangiovese, I didn't. I'm still at the beginner phase of - follow the directions most of the time, just beginning to figure out how to tweak. I'm racking this weekend, so I'll see what comes up. Thanks!

I have used the Zest application in all 8 ..5 gallon batches.
Mostly grapefruit zest..which is working well as a plate so to speak for the other aspects of the flavors in the wine to be set up and presented on.
Used a full orange skins with all the pulp removed in a Strawberry and Pineapple Wine. It's a great dance partner with those flavors.

Chablis SG was 0.9904, now in secondary fermentation for 10 to 14 days. Smell was great and calculated ABV is 14.16%. Was very cloudy when first transferred, now clearing and is a clear Golden yellow for about the top 8”. Will let gravity work. Of course when I de-gas, it all gets stirred up again, but the clarification process and racking should take care of that.

Open post.
Has anyone successfully finished a Pineapple and Coconut wine?
If so, will you share your receipt?

Latest posts

Back