What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made veggie burgers today from beans and oats.

I did grow some of the beans in this burger. I also sprouted the alfalfa and radish sprouts that adorn the burger. I wish I could say the same for the tomatoes and lettuce, but, alas, it's March in ND. I did make the vegan mayo from the aqua fava I saved from cooking my garbanzo beans for tomorrow's hummus. Oh, and I cultured the sourdough starter that allowed me to bake the amazing bread it was all served up on.

#eatlocal

View media item 4627
View media item 4626
View media item 4625
View media item 4624

Nice fare tonight. Roasted artichoke halves with lemon and EVOO. Roasted Romanesco broccoli, smothered in a sauce of butter, sauteed garlic, lemon juice, and capers, topped with Grana Padana cheese. Roasted spaghetti squash topped with a gremolata sauce (in my version, minced parsley and some cilantro, lemon zest, grated raw garlic, EVOO, lemon juice). And one of those lamb shoulder-chops-that-are-practically-rib-chops that I keep prattling on about. The latter was dry-brined, seared hard (but not for long) for a nice crust with a med-rare interior, and then seasoned with ground fennel, pepper, and granulated garlic. This was washed down with an old, cheap, good wine that will be "documented" elsewhere.

DSCN2397.jpg

Enjoy it while you can. We got hit with the "Bomb Cyclone" yesterday. Never heard that one before but it was a doozy!

333_1.jpg

222_1.jpg

111_5.jpg

image000002.jpg

I should be grilling something with it being 65*F outside.......

Enjoy it while you can. We got hit with the "Bomb Cyclone" yesterday. Never heard that one before but it was a doozy!
I believe the "bomb cyclone" is supposed to jog west and north of us. Only a 25% chance of rain Friday and some brisk winds on Saturday. About time one of these systems missed us!

I have a man crush on Mark Wiens at the moment. He's eating some awesome food in Sri Lanka and I had to try it. The inspiration came from here.

He had rice but I started with homemade dough for ramen, I even used baked baking soda to get that texture.

100-4386.jpg

Here's most of the players but I did add a fresh tomato, fish sauce and homemade shrimp stock I had in the freezer. In the bowl is a pack of seafood mix from the store and the plate had onions, green onions, ginger and garlic.
100-4388.jpg

Rolled out some ramen and fettuccine noodles.
100-4390.jpg

Cracked the crab shells to soak in that awesome curry sauce.
100-4391.jpg

Sauteed the veggies, added the spices, shrimp broth, can of coconut cream and a bag of seafood mix to make a good seafood broth, cooked it for a while to reduce and concentrate the flavors then added the king crab to let them soak that flavor in. The crab legs went in at the last 15 minutes so I didn't turn them into mush.
100-4396.jpg

Made a bowl and started drooling. Topped it with cilantro and green onions, that's Sambal ground chili in the middle for a little kick, it's not hot but has a good flavor.
100-4398.jpg

Side plate with stuffed crab and more king crab to slurp that awesome gravy off of.
100-4399.jpg

Crab and curry is a match made in flavor town.
100-4401.jpg

It's the closest thing you can get to ecstasy.
100-4403.jpg

The stuffed crab with that gravy/broth was amazing.
100-4405.jpg

That's shrimp and clams from the seafood mix on top, It's like a paella in a spoon with curry sauce.
100-4406.jpg

It was a process to get to this point but so worth it, THIS has to be done again but next time I wanna use the biggest shrimp I can find.
100-4407.jpg

I'm ashamed I couldn't eat that lonely crab, I'm blaming it on those two foot long noodles.
100-4408.jpg

Switched gears this morning and decided I wanted to do ribs today and leave the spatchcocked chicken for tomorrow (corned beef for Monday). After realizing I was short on charcoal, head to the local hardware store to pick up a bag. Set the WSM up for a snake method cook so I wouldn't have to futz with it too much (wanna get some wine chores done today), but now fighting the steady 10 mph plus wind that doesn't want to die down. Temps are slowly climbing, but only to 158*F so far. Might have to abort and dump a bunch of charcoal in and use the minion method for this cook. I've got some time since they are baby back ribs and really don't need the normal 3-2-1 (6 hour) cook to get done/tender. I seem to be in a Hickory mood lately, so using some chips among the charcoal for some added smoke. One is just salt 'n pepper, the other some Stubs bbq rub with added smoked paprika. Wish me luck!
3-16-19_ribs.jpg

Latest posts

Back