Vineco Wine fermented super fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine-0

Junior
Reaction score
My cheeky monkey guwurtztraminer ... Or however you spell it fermented and had a reading of .099 in just 6 days.
It will not clear the sediment will not settle. I racked into the Carboy and waited few days and no sign of clearing at all. What can I do?

I don't think clearing in 5 days is super fast, have you used any clearing agent?

Are you sure it is done fermenting? Fermentation speed depends on your conditions and your yeast. You should check to make sure the S.G. is unchanged over a couple days to verify that it has actually finished fermenting. Additionally, it typically will take considerably longer than a few days to clear, anyway, even if you use clarifying agents.

My cheeky monkey guwurtztraminer ... Or however you spell it fermented and had a reading of .099 in just 6 days.
It will not clear the sediment will not settle. I racked into the Carboy and waited few days and no sign of clearing at all. What can I do?
I would expect this kit to finish around .992. No sure if .099 is supposed to be .999 or .990.

Have you added the stabilizers and clearing agents yet (which should be done about day 18)?

BTW, 6 days to 1.000 is not particularly fast if your must/wine is stored at a decent temperature.

Steve

The kit says the target is .995 finished. I'm not sure how to read the hydrometer but isn't that even lower then .999? (Think I made a mistake in my topic it reads 0.999)

I talked to somebody and told me to start degassing it. So I did. Now... The package has three packets to add during and after degassing

Potassium met. ( add before gassing add) I did

Potassium sorbate
Fining agent( clear stuff)
Also normally u add the sweet pack

I added just the fining agent thinking that's what helps it clear but I did not add sweetener or the potassium sorbate yet cuz I want it to clear and possibly rack again before adding flavour pack because there is still a lot of sediment in there.

Did I do the right thing? The fining agent has been in overnight and no signs of clearing.

So frustrating

The kit says the target is .995 finished. I'm not sure how to read the hydrometer but isn't that even lower then .999? (Think I made a mistake in my topic it reads 0.999)

I talked to somebody and told me to start degassing it. So I did. Now... The package has three packets to add during and after degassing

Potassium met. ( add before gassing add) I did

Potassium sorbate
Fining agent( clear stuff)
Also normally u add the sweet pack

I added just the fining agent thinking that's what helps it clear but I did not add sweetener or the potassium sorbate yet cuz I want it to clear and possibly rack again before adding flavour pack because there is still a lot of sediment in there.

Did I do the right thing? The fining agent has been in overnight and no signs of clearing.

So frustrating

I wouldn't expect the wine to become clear overnight. That, too, is highly dependent on multiple variables. You're going to have to give it time - probably several days. I'm sure the instructions say something to that effect.

A bit of cold helps it clearing.

A fermentation that fast indicates a decent temperature. Now put it out in the cold that might help clearing.

Luc

A bit of cold helps it clearing.

A fermentation that fast indicates a decent temperature. Now put it out in the cold that might help clearing.

Luc
wine-o

Luc is not a kit maker. He is very knowledgable, but do NOT follow his advice this time.

If you put it out in the cold now, it will be difficult to degas, and slow to finish fermenting. You need to degas before expecting the wine to clear.

First, you need to keep the wine warm, and allow it to finish fermenting. Yes, .995 is lower than .999, and .992 (my expected target) is even lower. Let the wine finish fermenting.

Once it has reached that point for a few days, rack it again. Then add the sulphite, degas well, and then add the F-pack (sweetening blend). You may even need to add a small amount of extra K-meta.

It is possible that you will need to get another clearing agent to add after all the rest.

BTW, is there some reason why you have chosen not to follow the instructions? One of a winemaker's most important attributes is PATIENCE. You will have to learn to be patient. The 28 days that the instruction sheet calls for is not long enough (IMO).

Steve

Last edited:
agreed with cpfan, give it time these kits are pretty well bullet proof if you follow the directions, 28 days seems like forever but it will result in a better outcome for you, the longer you can wait the better most wines get.

In just thought because my reading was at .999 it was done fermenting ...

On the wine and beer hydrometer it says that finished wine is in the 1.000 - 0.990. I took the reading and was at .990. It also says in instruction to wait 7 days or when you get a reading of 1.010.

So I did the first racking because it was 1.000 .

That's only reason why I racked it.

I guess I was impatient of it not clearing because the other batch I has next to it cleared super fast! And is still clearing . This stubborn batch will not even flinch .. Why won't it clear? Iv degased it because my reading is at .990

Added sweet pack and the rest of the packs asked. Will it still clear for me?

Thanks all. Oh and it's at room temp still 21 degrees.

In just thought because my reading was at .999 it was done fermenting ...

On the wine and beer hydrometer it says that finished wine is in the 1.000 - 0.990. I took the reading and was at .990. It also says in instruction to wait 7 days or when you get a reading of 1.010.

So I did the first racking because it was 1.000 .

That's only reason why I racked it.

I guess I was impatient of it not clearing because the other batch I has next to it cleared super fast! And is still clearing . This stubborn batch will not even flinch .. Why won't it clear? Iv degased it because my reading is at .990

Added sweet pack and the rest of the packs asked. Will it still clear for me?

Thanks all. Oh and it's at room temp still 21 degrees.
No problem racking at 1.000. But what exactly did you do afterwards? Based on your posts, you sure weren't following the instructions. What was the sg when you added the sorbate?

What is the other batch, and where was it at when it cleared so nicely?

Steve

Sorry I keep making the mistake of the hydrometer reading. It actually was 8 days when I did first reading and racking I marked it on calander and it read just below .990 in between 1.000 and .990 it's in red and the red section says " bottle" on my hydrometer . So I figured that was a good reading . The other was A bit higher and at about 1.010 ... At the recommended SG target at that stage.

So the one I'm having problems clearing was always at a lower SG reading but now they are both the same at .990.

The one that fermented the fasted is whst is not clearing for me at all.

i may have missed it in the reading but how long has it been? some things really do take forever it seems to clear, you just kinda move it to the back then one day you pull it out to get something else and wow look how clear that is :)

Oh and the other batch is a bent grape by vineco called strawberry daquiri that is clearing so nicely.

The cheeky monkey white is not clearing. Maybe it got contaminated? I doubt it though on always very sterile lol

okay so it started on 3/25 it you racked it around 3/31 - 4/3 and you stabilized and degassed somewhere around there right? if thats the case give it more time if it doesnt show visible clearing within a week you may need to use another clearing agent.

Yes that's about right the dates. I will give it time to clear and see how it goes. Thanks for the info !

Latest posts

Back