"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CUZIN_J
You can only pull the amount of vacuum that the pump is designed for.
Our pumps are rated between 22 -24 of vacuum.

I have never seen or heard of a glass carboy imploding due to excessive vacuum.

I still suggest using the precision vacuum valve to reduce vacuum to get better efficiency out of the filter cartridge

I was using that in reference to ( lostacres said:) he was saying to use as a pump for pressure, not using it as a vacuum, my reference was not about implode, but about explode as he would be pumping pressure instead of vacuum, also I have learned that no matter good or how bad something is, there is always a un-forseen area that something will go wrong,, as MURPHY's Law states. as far as myself I would never run either a pressure or vacuum system without a safety valve of some kind. hope this made my comment better understandable.

Thanks so much for the input. Just wondering if the final results were positive. I've seen wine loose some color after filtering, so how about taste...? Better, worth the effort?

bruce in Urbana Ohio

I had a nice chat with vacuumpumpman and yesterday about that very subject. As usual he was extremely helpful :hg and made that suggestion. I will say, I got the part number from a list on this board so don't make the same mistake I made and order by part number alone. I would suggest everyone make sure it does NOT have the pressure relief button.
I did try a removing the button and replacing it with a screw/nut combination with the neoprene washer to seal but it had little effect. I surrendered and just got a new housing as I was ordering filters anyway so shipping we basically free.
I wonder if you could hook one of these up to a House? Has anyone tried that before. Man I'm thinking you could put it on the main water line a filter your whole house with it :) :)
Add #15 to your bookmarks on May 13, 2013
On Friday, I used the 158116 housing with a P5 filter to filter three batches. I was able to get the hoses all the way onto the barbs this time, with nearly no air. Unfortunately, I broke one of the barbs trying to remove the hose because the fit was so tight. :slp I'm off to Home Depot to check if they have a suitable substitute. The moral of the storey is to make sure your hoses are completely wrapped around those barbs. That was the deciding factor for me.

Filters fast sold me a 158326 housing, and I'll be doing some side-by-side comparisons soon. When I'm finished, I'll make a post.

On Friday, I used the 158116 housing with a P5 filter to filter three batches. I was able to get the hoses all the way onto the barbs this time, with nearly no air. Unfortunately, I broke one of the barbs trying to remove the hose because the fit was so tight. :slp I'm off to Home Depot to check if they have a suitable substitute. The moral of the storey is to make sure your hoses are completely wrapped around those barbs. That was the deciding factor for me.

Filters fast sold me a 158326 housing, and I'll be doing some side-by-side comparisons soon. When I'm finished, I'll make a post.
[/QUOTE]

I do sell the filter barbs separate for $4.00 for 2 of them. I do recommend cutting the tubing off the barbs and heat up the hose to prevent any damage to the filter barbs.
I hope this helps

Add #15 to your bookmarks on May 13, 2013

On Friday, I filtered three batches with the 158116 housing and a P5 filter. This time, I was able to get the hoses all the way onto the barbs with almost no air. Because the fit was so tight, I damaged one of the barbs trying to remove the hose. :slp I'm heading to Home Depot to see if they have an appropriate replacement. The lesson of the storey is to double-check that your hoses are fully wrapped around those barbs. For me, that was the determining element.

I bought a 158326 housing from Filters quickly, and I'll be performing some side-by-side comparisons shortly. I'll write a post when I'm done.

On Friday, I filtered three batches with the 158116 housing and a P5 filter. This time, I was able to get the hoses all the way onto the barbs with almost no air. Because the fit was so tight, I damaged one of the barbs trying to remove the hose. :slp I'm heading to Home Depot to see if they have an appropriate replacement. The lesson of the storey is to double-check that your hoses are fully wrapped around those barbs. For me, that was the determining element.

I bought a 158326 housing from Filters quickly, and I'll be performing some side-by-side comparisons shortly. I'll write a post when I'm done.

The 158116 is a heavy duty compared to the 158326.
the 158116 sells out rather quickly - that is why I included the alternate housing 158326

I recommend both on our website =

Description
Filtering your wine using the All in one wine pump

We recommend the following items for your vacuum wine pump filter setup. These items are also recommended by the manufacturer for wine filtration:

taken from =
https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/wine-filter-setup/

Latest posts

Back